2004 William McIntyre Ryerson
William McIntyre Ryerson was born in Brantford, the son of Thomas Egerton Ryerson and Elizabeth McIntyre Ryerson. His great-uncle was Egerton Ryerson, founder of Ontario’s public school system in the 1800’s. Mr. Ryerson attended public school in Brantford and was a graduate of Brantford Collegiate Institute & Vocational School. Young William served as an officer in the First World War. A graduate of the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall, after his admission to the bar, Mr. Ryerson practiced law on Market Street for several years.
He then joined his father’s grocery business, Ryerson Bros. established in 1885, which was a Brantford landmark for many years. Among his community activities, William was a member of Park Baptist Church, Brant County Bar Association, Brantford Curling Club, Mocha Temple Shrine and the Brantford Shriners Club. Being somewhat of a philanthropist, he also helped put some local students through university. Mr. Ryerson was an alderman/councillor in Ward One for ten years, during the 1920’s and 1930’s. During his tenure on city council, Mr. Ryerson served on a variety of committees, Board of Works, Fire and Light, Industrial Commission, Board of Education, Grand River Conservation Commission, Brantford General Hospital and the Silver Jubilee of King George V, being just a few of the numerous committees and special committees he sat on.