When do I get paid?
After the private lead water service has been replaced, with a satisfactory inspection of the replacement by the City, a cheque will be issued for either the approved grant amount or the paid eligible invoice amount, whichever is less, once you provide the City with the following: 1. A paid eligible invoice of work completed by the contractor; and 2. A signed work completion form, indicating that the homeowner is satisfied with the work completed by the contractor.
Why should I take advantage of this program?
The City of Brantford is committed to protecting the health and safety of its community. The City is giving a one-time lump sum up to $1,000. There is no interest and the grant does not have to be repaid. There are no application fees. The fees are also being waived for the water service inspection and the water service connection permit.
Can I use the grant to replace my service line if it is not made of lead?
No. The grant can only be utilized toward the replacement of private water services that are substantially composed of lead. Thus, copper and other services do no apply.
How long will this program continue?
The program will continue as long as funds are available. The grants will be approved on a first come first serve basis. Please also ensure that you submit a complete application form, as any incomplete information will result in application rejection.
What expenses can be covered by the grant?
The grant is available to cover costs of private lead service replacement, which may include: excavation and pipe material. The grant will not cover any other costs such as internal plumbing and restoration of property to existing condition.
How do I know if I am a successful applicant?
Once your application is reviewed, successful applicants will receive a Commitment Letter from the General Manager of the Public Works Commission, representing the agreement between the homeowner and the City. The Commitment Letter will detail the eligible grant amount (of up to $1,000).
Where can I find a contractor?
It is highly recommended that property owners obtain quotes from at least three contractors because cost may vary substantially. Only contractors who are properly licensed to replace or reline sewer laterals and water services are qualified to perform this work. This includes licensed plumbing contractors and licensed drain or sewer contractors. For a current listing(1) of Plumbing Contractors and Sewer/Drain Contractors who are licensed to do business in the City of Brantford, check the City’s website at www.brantford.ca/plumbingtrades and scroll to the bottom of the page. If it is the home owner’s preference to use a plumber who is not on the list, the City will require that the plumber first obtain a license as required under the City’s Business Licensing By-law. (1)Disclaimer: This listing does not contain contact information. Licensed contractors can be found in the yellow pages of the phone book or searched online. The City does not provide recommendations on plumbing contractors or sewer or drain contractors. Verification of the qualifications of contractors on this list in respect of Plumbing Trade License, or Sewer or Drain Contractor License, and liability insurance coverage is the responsibility of the property owner. Neither the City of Brantford nor any of its agents, officers or employees, make any warranty, express or implied, or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information provided by the business licensing list.

List of Licensed Sewer Drain Contractors in the Lead Water Service Replacement Grant Program

Trained Contractors Phone Numbers
A & B Contracting 519-758-5053
Adlam Contracting Ltd 519-753-5185
Clean Shot Environmental Services 519-732-6658
Morley’s Contracting 519-757-7740
Roto Rooter 226-400-2210
What is the cost to me?
The replacement of a private service line can vary from $900 to $3,000. It also depends on the length of service line to be replaced, and the restoration required. Follow these tips for getting the best price from contractors: 1. Obtain as many quotes as possible 2. Try negotiating with the contractor for a better price 3. Have the work done during the slow period (ie. late fall or early spring)
Why Replace a Lead Service?
Lead is generally not present in source water, but can be present in tap water through corrosion of the water service pipe and plumbing materials that are made of lead. The effect of lead in drinking water is a concern for pregnant women and children under 6 years old, because lead can affect a child’s neurological development. It’s recommended that people with lead water service pipes flush their tap water for at least five minutes twice a day. This water flushing is not only a waste of drinking water (3600 litres per month) but it can also become expensive. The use of filters or buying bottled water for drinking and cooking can also become costly and is not a permanent solution.
Who is Eligible?
All property owners within the City can qualify for the program if the following criteria are met:
  1. Must have a confirmed private lead water service; and
  2. Must receive municipal City water; and
  3. Must not have commenced replacement of private lead water service prior to grant approval by the City; and
  4. Have current and paid property taxes at the time of application for the grant.
How do I Apply?
In order to apply for the grant, the property owner must submit the following: 1. Complete and sign the grant application form and return it to the City’s Environmental Services Department; and 2. Provide detailed quote(s) from contractor(s) for the replacement of the private portion of the lead service line; 3. The quote must detail what work is to be done, and separate out costs for each portion of work (i.e. separate line item prices for pipe length and material costs, water service installation, driveway restoration, front yard restoration, internal plumbing modifications details, and other costs); 4. Or, if doing the work on your own, provide cost estimates of materials and equipment required for the service replacement.
Who should I contact in the City if I have any comments or questions regarding the Program?
For questions/comments regarding the Lead Service Replacement Grant Program, contact:
Customer Service, 220 Colborne Street, Brantford, ON N3T 2H1
Phone: 519 756-1360; FAX: 519 753-9884.
What is a Private Lead Water Service?
Private Lead Service Diagram It is the portion of the water service running from the property line into the building up to the water meter that is substantially composed of lead.
Do I have a lead water service?
If your home was built before the 1950s the water service line may be composed of lead. The attached map shows locations that have lead water services. It is recommended to contact the Public Works Commission to confirm this information at 519-759-4150 ext. 5834. Click to view the Map
What is the purpose of the Grant Program?
The Private Lead Water Service Replacement Program was created to encourage City of Brantford property owners to replace the lead water service on their property. While private water services are the responsibility of the owner, the City of Brantford has developed this grant program as an incentive to remove the lead water services in homes. Financial assistance in the form of a grant up to $1,000 per water service towards the cost of replacement is available to eligible property owners.
What else do I need to do?
When ready to replace your lead water service, the contractor (or you if you go the DIY way) must obtain at least three buisness days in advance:

1- A Water Service Permit and schedule a Water Service Inspection by calling the City’s Customer Services Department (220 Colborne St., 519-756-1360); and
2- Call Ontario One at for utility locates at 1800-400-2255; and
3-Schedule a lead test BEFORE and AFTER the lead water service has been replaced. Please contact the Compliance Division at (519) 759-4150 Ext. 5834.
All fees associated with administration, lead testing, utility locates, Water Service Permit and Inspection have been being waived for any lead water service replacements.
In case of an emergency replacement due to a lead water service leak, please contact immediately the City's Environmental Services at (519) 759-1350 Ext. 5539.