The City of Brantford is poised to become a "21st Century City". With five post-secondary institutions partnering to build the educational capacity and talent of our community, the municipality will be able to capitalize on opportunities to attract business and development to our community.
Recent announcements include:
- Student enrolment at post-secondary campuses is expected to expand from the current 2500 students to 15,000 over the next 12 years.
- Our community approved a partnership with the YMCA, Laurier Brantford, the provincial government and the federal government for a $58.4 million dollar athletic complex on the south side of Colborne Street. The City of Brantford’s commitment was 10 per cent.
- Laurier and the YMCA announced that the design for the athletic complex had won a prestigious architectural award. Not only is this new development building the student base, bringing citizens downtown and generating economic renewal, it will also attract international attention for the community and become an iconic building for 21st century Brantford.
- Wipro announces Brantford location. Wipro presented itself to the community as the company that secured the Bell contract in Market Square and announced that it would not only live up to the original commitment of jobs, but would also add more jobs within its first 18 to 24 months and is looking at a long-term growth strategy for the future in Brantford. Wipro, to start, will bring 350 jobs by the end of 2012 and another 150 by the end of 2013. The people in these jobs will bring a renewed energy to the downtown core, will be there year round and will add a substantial source of revenue for downtown businesses. One of the key factors in Wipro's decision-making was the proximity to post-secondary education and students who could work at the centre - another tangible benefit from being a “university town.”
- Conestoga College announced its partnership with Laurier Brantford, initially bringing business programs but also planning for growth and solidifying the remarkable success story of community development through post-secondary investment.