City Flag and Coat of Arms
Symbolism of the Coat of Arms
The heraldic symbols are a new expression with a centuries old art form, drawing together elements from Brantford’s unique natural and historical heritage.
If you wish to use the Coat of Arms for literature, you will require to contact the Mayor's Office, 519-759-4150, ext. 2213
Shield of Arms
The beaver is one of the oldest symbols having a special association with Canada. Adopted as the main emblem for the Town’s corporate seal by the Town Council in 1850, it has been used by the community for more than a century and a half. As well as its patriotic and local heritage associations, the beaver is an apt emblem for a community where industry, both in the sense of attitude and commerce, has long been important.
Crest (Above the Shield)
In the mid-19th century, Canadian in many parts of British North America were adopting the maple leaf as a special sign of their nationality. The citizens of the young town of Brantford used it to signal their presence as part of Queen Victoria’s North American dominions. This historic usage is now made distinctive with the addition of the traditional heraldic symbol for civic government, the mural coronet.
These figures represent the twin streams of human heritage and endeavour in the region of Brantford: The First Peoples and the Europeans. The Mohawk Indian is shown in typical dress of the period 1784, the date when the Six Nations were granted lands along the Grand River. He carries a historic symbol of peace, respect and friendship between the British government of the day and the Iroquoian Confederacy, the Gus-wen-tah wampum belt. By extension, this historic belt represents the ongoing relationship between the two peoples along the Grand River. The pioneer logger is shown in the working dress of the period when a village was first growing up at “Brant’s Ford”. He represents all the early European settlers who developed and shaped the young community and laid the foundation for the community’s later prosperity. The supporters share a single compartment, a symbol of the rich agricultural lands lying on either side of the River. The grass is strewn with daffodils, which was declared by City Council in 1919 to be the City’s floral emblem.
“Industry and Perseverance” was adopted as the motto of the Corporation in 1850.
Is modeled after the national flag of Canada, with the shield of arms of the City in the centre.
This emblem surrounds the City’s new crest with a symbol representing the Grand River, the symbolic message being Brantford-on-the-Grand.
Official Flower Emblem
The Daffodil adopted March 31, 1919.
On March 15, 1976, the flag was formally dedicated in the City of Brantford bearing the motto “Industria Et Perseverantia.”
Incorporated as a Town: September 1847
City: May 31, 1877
Official Colours are Red and Black