Public Art Collection 

The City of Brantford’s diverse Public Art Collection reflects our community’s proud historical legacy and its vision for the future. The monuments and historical artifacts listed here are owned and maintained by the city. For more information about the City of Brantford’s Public Art Program, click to view the “About Public Art” section of this website in a new browser window.

Joseph Brant Monument
Artist: Percy Wood
Location: Victoria Park Square (65 Market St.)
Year: 1886

Photograph of Joseph Brant Monument in Victoria Park

Located at the centre of the Victoria Park Square Heritage Conservation District, the monument dedicated to Joseph Brant and the Six Nations Confederacy is considered to have been one of the first pieces of statuary of its kind in North America. The granite and bronze monument was sculpted by Percy Wood, of London, England, who won an international competition for his design of the monument. It was dedicated on October 13, 1886 and re-dedicated on September 16, 2000. 

There are four bronze reliefs at the base of the monument and six figures representing each of the Six Nations located at the midpoint. A statue of Joseph Brant stands atop the monument. A limestone tablet at the base of the monument identifies numerous contributors to the project, including that the bronze used in the statue came from cannons donated by the British Crown.


Victoria Park Drinking Fountain
Artist: Unknown
Location: Victoria Park Square (65 Market St.)
Year: 1892

Photograph of Victoria Park Drinking Fountain

The Victoria Park granite drinking fountain was donated to the city in 1892 by J.K. Osborne, a one-time Vice President of prominent Brantford companies A. Harris, Son and Company and Massey-Harris Co. Ltd.

It was restored in 2001 following vandalism, but has been inoperable since the 1960s. The fountain is located at the west side of the park, adjacent to Market Street and is part of the Victoria Park Square Heritage Conservation District, which was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act in 1986.   


Boer War Memorial
Artist: Hamilton MacCarthy
Location: Jubilee Terrace Park (10 Brant Ave.)
Year: 1903

Photograph of Boer War Memorial

The Boer War Memorial is located in Jubilee Terrace Park, adjacent to the Brantford Armouries. In late 1899, thirty Brantford men volunteered to serve with Canadian and British units during the Boer War in South Africa.

The monument is the work of artist Hamilton MacCarthy of Ottawa, and was dedicated on Victoria Day in 1903. A soldier of the Queen stands ready for battle atop the granite base. One of the bronze reliefs below depicts the three Brantford men who lost their lives in battle: Alfred W. Sherritt, Norman Builder and J.W. Osborne. The remaining three reliefs depict the battles where each lost his life. 

Jubilee Terrace Park designated as a heritage property under the Ontario Heritage Act.


Bell Memorial
Artist: Walter S. Allward
Location: Bell Memorial Park (41 West St.)
Year: 1917

Photograph of the Bell Memorial

The Bell Memorial is a granite and bronze sculpture commissioned by the Bell Memorial Association in 1908 to commemorate the invention of the telephone by Alexander Graham Bell at his parents’ home in Brantford in July 1874. Sculptor Walter Seymour Allward won an international competition to be awarded the commission, and it was unveiled on October 24, 1917. 

An outstanding sculptor of some of Canada’s finest public monuments, Walter S. Allward is best known for his masterpiece, the Vimy war memorial in France. The Bell Memorial, unveiled in 1917, is seen as the finest example of his early works and plaque was erected there by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada in 2010 to commemorate Allward’s national historic significance.


I.O.D.E. Memorial
Name of Artist: F.C. Bodley
Location: Tom Thumb Park (45 Brant Ave.)
Year: 1923

Photograph of the I.O.D.E.. Memorial

The I.O.D.E. Memorial was provided to the city following the Great War by the local members of the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire (IODE) and designed by architect F.C. Bodley. 

The limestone monument bears the inscription “Let those who come after see to it that their names be not forgotten”. These words were part of the message that was sent by King George V to all the parents or wives of the fallen soldiers after the war.It was originally located in Gore Park and was dedicated on November 11, 1923. In 1992, it was moved to Tom Thumb Park and was rededicated on November 11 of that year.


Lorne Park Sundial
Artist: F. Porter Adams
Location: Lorne Park (15 Colborne St. W.)
Year: 1932

Lorne Park Sundial photograph The Lorne Park Sundial was donated to the city by the local chapter of the I.O.D.E. in 1932 and was originally placed at the site of Brant’s Ford off of Gilkison Street, south of its current location. That same year, the Brant Historical Society also placed a bronze plaque mounted on a boulder to mark this historic site. In 1950, both the boulder and the sundial were moved to their current location in Lorne Park.  The bronze plaque on the boulder was replaced by a granite inscription in 2012. 

Designed by F. Porter Adams, the sundial is composed of granite atop a concrete platform, with two limestone and bronze plaques at the base.  The bronze gnomon is absent, rendering the sundial non-functioning.

 


 

Brant War Memorial
Artist: Walter S. Allward (design), Helen Granger (bronzes)
Location: War Memorial Park (6 Dalhousie St.)
Year: 1933

Brant War Memorial photograph

From 1914 to 1918 many men from Brantford and Brant County enlisted in the war effort.  Of a total 5,571 who enlisted, 701 lost their lives. In 1921, the Brant War Memorial Association was formed to develop a suitable tribute to the valorous deeds of those who served in the Great War. 

The initial commission was awarded to Walter S. Allward, and the monument was dedicated on May 25, 1933. The design of the monument bears similarities to Allward’s masterpiece, the Vimy war memorial in France.

The bronze sculptures intended in Allward’s initial design were not included in the final monument; therefore the War Memorial Committee initiated the addition of seven bronze figures by artist Helen Granger Young, which were unveiled in 1992. These figures represent the men and women of the armed forces. In 1954, the memorial was expanded to by the addition of a granite Memorial Gallery designed by local architect Charles Brooks, which includes the names of those who gave their lives during World War II, the Korean War, and in Afghanistan. 


Brook Trout
Artist: David Hind
Location: TH&B Rail Trail at Colborne St. W.
Year: 2008

Brook Trout photograph

The Brook Trout sculpture by Brantford artist David Hind is located at the entrance to the T.H. & B. Rail Trail, which is part of the Trans Canada Trail Network. The trail was formerly a segment of the Toronto Hamilton and Buffalo (T.H. & B.) Railway, and was converted into a public trail in 2007.

Crafted from reclaimed steel, the sculpture’s openwork and organic form reflects the natural setting in which it is displayed. Nearby D’Aubigny Creek is a spring-fed coldwater stream which flows into the Grand River. The trail can be accessed from the parking area of nearby D’Aubigny Park.


Polish War Veterans Memorial
Artist: Paul Lojko (design)
Location: Tom Thumb Park (45 Brant Ave.)
Year: 2011

Polish War Veterans Memorial photograph

One of the city’s newest monuments is the Polish Veterans Memorial located in Tom Thumb Park.  It was donated to the City of Brantford by the Polish Combatants Association of Canada Branch 4 – Brantford and was dedicated on September 18, 2011. 

The monument is composed of polished black and grey granite, and is inscribed in English on the east side and in Polish on the west side to commemorate the heroic contributions of Polish and Canadian Soldiers under British Command during World War II.

 

 


 

Hope
Artist: Heather Vollans
Location: St. Andrew's Park (230 Brant Ave.)
Year: 2012

The "Hope" sculpture is central to the Children's Memorial Garden in St. Andrew's Park. It is a two-part modern sculpture developed as a memorial tribute for children in the City of Brantford.  A guiding principle of the project was to involve the community, particularly children, in the 

creation of an artist-led community art piece.  Artist Heather Vollans was selected through an open competition process, and developed the concept for the abstract mosaic sculpture after a series of art workshops with children. 

Over 200 children and community members participated in the design and creation of mosaic elements that were incorporated by Vollans into the artwork.  Shown here during installation in November 2012, the completed garden was dedicated on June 8, 2013.

 


 

Alexandra Park Cannon
Origin: Russian
Location: Alexandra Park (265 Dalhousie St.)
Year Acquired: ca. 1860

Alexandra Park Cannon photograph The cannon located in Alexandra Park is of Russian origin and was captured by the British during the Crimean War (1853-1856) at the siege of Sevastopol. It was donated to the city by the British circa 1860 and was originally located in Victoria Park, but was moved to its current location before 1900.

The cannon has several markings, including the two-headed eagle on the barrel, which was part of the former Imperial Coat of Arms. The foundation where the cannon sits was refurbished in the early 2000s, and the current wooden carriage support was reconstructed in 2008.

 


 

Field Howitzer
Origin: German (Friedrich Krupp AG)
Location: Jubilee Terrace Park (10 Brant Ave.)
Year Manufactured: 1913

Field Howitzer photograph

Located adjacent to the Boer War Memorial in Jubilee Terrace Park, markings on this German howitzer’s breechblock indicate that it was manufactured in 1913 by Friedrich Krupp AG, a large family-run German business that began making cannons in the 1840s. It was captured during World War I. 

Jubilee Terrace Park was designated as a heritage property under the Ontario Heritage Act in 1996. The presence of the Boer War Memorial, the Howitzer, and the nearby Armouries are all cited in the designation by-law.


Preston Park Flagpole
Artist: Unknown
Location: Preston Park (275 Dufferin Ave.)
Year: 1925

Preston Park Flagpole photograph The flagpole in Preston Park was donated to the City of Brantford by the family of T.H. Preston and the Board of the Parks Commissioners in 1925. 

Thomas Hiram Preston, for whom Preston Park is named, was a resident of Brantford from 1890 until his death in 1925. In 1890 he became the owner of the Brantford Expositor, and later served in the Legislative Assembly of Ontario representing the Brant South riding.

The flagpole is currently unused and the concrete base and bronze plaque require repair, however the memorial is part of the city’s intended maintenance plan and will be addressed. 


The Great One
Artist: Brad Oldham
Location: Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre (254 North Park St.)
Year: 2013

"The Great One" was formally installed in 2013 and sits at the front of the Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre. The sculpture was donated to the community by the Wayne Gretzky Project and features a 12-foot bronze-cast sculpture of Wayne Gretzky hoisting the Stanley Cup over his head in victory. A life-sized depiction of Wayne as a child, with parents Walter and Phyllis Gretzky, stand together and look on.

The installation is a celebration of the remarkable accomplishments of Wayne Gretzky, and the contributions of the Gretzky family to the City of Brantford and the sport of hockey. The installation also acts as a destination and an inspiration to the up-and-coming generation of young athletes.


Poetry at Carnegie
Location: In front of the Carnegie Building (73 George St.)
Year: 2015

This project was developed through a partnership with Wilfrid Laurier University and the City of Brantford. It was installed in August 2015, and will include permanent signage to be installed at a later date.

The piece features granite tablets inset into the concrete; the granite is arranged in a swirl pattern, and engraved with the quote, "Then meet we as one common Brotherhood. In peace and love, with purpose understood." This excerpt was written by E. Pauline Johnson for the dedication of the Joseph Brant Monument (Victoria Park) in 1886.

The quote ties together the Carnegie Building (formerly a library) and the Joseph Brant Monument, while recognizing the significance of Johnson as a local author and historical figure.