The City of Brantford provides the electronic Light Emitting Diode (LED) sign for communication of special events information to Brantford residents and visitors. The City of Brantford views the LED sign as a valued public service promoting special community events taking place within the geographic boundaries of the City of Brantford and its strategic tourism partners, the County of Brant and the Six Nations / New Credit Marketing Collective. LED Sign User Guidelines The City of Brantford provides the electronic LED sign at the Visitor and Tourism Centre to promote community events taking place within the geographic boundaries of the City. Consideration is given to two-day or more community events that take place within the geographic boundaries of Tourism Brantford’s strategic tourism partners, the County of Brant and the Six Nations / New Credit Marketing Collective.
How Community Events Get Displayed on the LED Sign
The Community events displayed on the LED sign are taken from the City of Brantford Calendar of Events page which is located on the City of Brantford website. Each month, City staff review the Calendar of Events Pages and identify events, which meet the guidelines in the LED sign usage policy. These events are then displayed on the LED sign. It is recommended that event organizers post their event on the Calendar of Events Page and read the LED Sign Usage Policy Questions and inquiries about the LED sign can be directed to the Brantford Visitor and Tourism Centre at 519-751-9900.
- To identify appropriate and inappropriate use of the LED sign
- To establish a process for displaying special community event messages
- To establish message content displayed on the LED sign
- To prioritize messages displayed
- To establish the length of time messages are displayed
Special Community Events
Not for profit events in the following categories:
- Tournaments/competitions (regional, provincial, national or international level)
- Arts & culture events
- Conventions & Conferences
- City of Brantford sponsored events and programs
- Fundraising events open to the general public that are sponsored by service clubs, not-for-profit groups or other community based public institutions
- Messages announcing or promoting special community events taking place within the geographic boundaries of the City of Brantford.
- Consideration will also be made, as outlined in the ‘Priority of Messages Displayed’ section, to promote annual two-day or more special community events that take place within the geographic boundaries of the City of Brantford’s strategic tourism partners, the County of Brant and the Six Nations/ New Credit Marketing Collective.
- Promotions of events not open to the general public (excluding conferences & conventions).
- Use by businesses or commercial advertisers to promote commercial goods or service.
- Promotion of political, factional, or religious events or activities.
- Promotion of permanent businesses operated by not-for-profit groups or organizations. For example, cafés or gift shops.
- Promotion of registration, membership or recruitment drives by not-for-profit groups, associations or organizations.
- Promotion of special days of recognition or awareness weeks.
- Promotion of public institution, organization or group events or activities to raise funds for in house programs, services, trips or equipment.
- Promotion of any special community event where net proceeds are for personal profit.
- Birthday, anniversary or congratulatory messages for individuals or organizations.
- Promotion of events not suitable for families.
- Personal contact information such as names and phone numbers.
- Messages that state or imply City of Brantford endorsement for any non-city events.
Process for Getting Messages Displayed on the LED Sign
- Event organizers must enter their event information on the Calendar of Events page located on the City of Brantford website.
- City staff will review the Calendar of Events listings and identify which events will be promoted on the LED sign, based on the definition of special community events and appropriate sign usages.
- City of Brantford staff will promote special events by displaying the name, date and location of the event on the LED sign.
- City of Brantford staff will display welcome messages to greet tournament teams/participants or conferences/conventions delegates.
Due to the medium, messages are limited to a maximum of three lines, 15 characters per line, including spaces. The number of messages displayed on the sign at any given time is limited to twelve, including the standard time, temperature and welcome to Brantford greeting.
Priority of Messages Displayed
The City of Brantford will promote as many special community events on the LED sign as space permits. However, event organizers are cautioned that the City of Brantford offers no guarantee that once their event is submitted to the Calendar of Events page, it will automatically be promoted on the LED sign. The priority of messages displayed on the LED sign will be determined in this order:
- First priority will be given to City of Brantford sponsored special event or program information directed to visitors and residents.
- Second priority will be given to special events sponsored by service groups, not-for-profit groups and organizations or other community based public institutions.
- Third priority will be given to special events sponsored by businesses and/or individuals.
- Fourth priority will be given to special events happening outside the geographic boundaries of the city of Brantford.
Within each priority level, priority will be established by the order in which the event information is submitted to the Calendar of Events page.
Message Display Period
The length a message is displayed will depend on space available and the following guidelines
- City of Brantford Events will be displayed for up to two weeks.
- All other events will be displayed a minimum of one week up to a maximum of two weeks depending on available message space.
The Tourism Advisory Board will review the electric LED read-o-graph sign usage policy on an annual basis.