Bell Homestead National Historic Site
When Professor Alexander Melville Bell and his family arrived in Canada in August of 1870, their minds were not set on settling in Brantford. However, a brief stay with friends in Paris, introduced the Bells to an area that they would call home for eleven years. The Brantford Expositor of August 12th, 1870 welcomed the family to the community.
"Welcome. We are pleased to welcome to our town and neighbourhood, A. Melville Bell Esq., professor of elocution of University College, London, England. We understand he has purchased from Mr. Robert Morton, a property containing ten acres of land and complete house and good orchard, beautifully situated on the Mount Pleasant Road some two miles from Brantford."
Located high on the bluffs overlooking the Grand River and the town of Brantford, the Bell's first North American residence - known to them as "Melville House" - would provide the stage for the invention of the telephone. Here, July 26th, 1874, Alexander Graham Bell changed the realm of communications forever.
Click to view the Official Web Site for the Bell Homestead in a new browser window.