2009 Charles Ward
Charles Ward was born in Leicester, England on September 25, 1891, and immigrated to Brantford, Canada in May 1908 and worked at Cockshutt Farm Equipment Limited and later transferred to Massey-Harris until his retirement in 1958. He was first elected to City Council in 1952, and except for 1958-1960 when he made an unsuccessful run for Mayor, he was an Alderman until his death on April 14, 1982 at age 91.
Charles Ward served as Alderman for Ward 3 from 1952 to 1955. He was then elected as Ward 4 Alderman from 1956 through to 1958, and again in 1961 through to 1982. He offered his leadership qualities by serving on numerous committees, boards and commissions. These included the Housing Committee, Property Fire and Light Committee, Welfare Committee, Board of Works, General Executive, Number One Committee, Brantford General Hospital – Board of Governors, Brant Social Services, Brantford Public Library Board, Brantford Senior Citizens Day Centre Board, John Noble Home, family service Bureau, Brant Area Local Government Review Committee, Brantford & District Civic Centre Commission, Children’s Aid Society, Grand River Conservation Authority, Brantford Development Commission, Brant Social Development Council – including United Community fund and the Charitable Appeals Review Board.
Charles Ward has been accorded many honours during his career and was known as one of Brantford’s Best Ambassador, as well as “Admiral of East Ward Creek” due to his continued efforts to have something done about the flooding problems related to the creek. In 1956 he was chosen as a delegate to the Duke of Edinburgh Conference. At age 71 he received the title “Citizen of the Year” in Brantford for his untiring and unselfish efforts on behalf of the citizens in the fields of civics, labour and welfare, and on his 90th birthday was named Honourary Lord Mayor of the City for Life, with a park being officially dedicated the Charles Ward Park. The East Ward Businessmen’s Association sponsored the Charlie Ward Appreciation Night in honour of Charlie, and in the year 1982, a plaque was unveiled officially dedicating and naming the Charlie Ward Room, where Charles conducted council business during his three decades as a member of Council.
Induction Ceremony was held on November 14, 2011.