2003 John Elliott
Born in Heck Yorkshire, England on August 15, 1822, John Elliott apprenticed as a Stone-Cutter before leaving for Canada in the spring of 1842. After working at his trade in Canada and the United States, Mr. Elliott settled in Brantford around 1850. He built a house at 89 William Street, which is still standing.
Mr. Elliott built several buildings in Ontario and Quebec, including the post office in Toronto, the parliament building in Quebec, and built the addition to the county buildings in Brantford. Mr. Elliott also cut the tombstone for Captain Joseph Brant, at the Mohawk Chapel in the fall of 1850. He was also engaged in executing a large amount of work on the Buffalo and Huron & Grand Truck railway lines. Mr. Elliott attended Wellington Street Methodist Church. He was a member of the School Board for four years and served as an Alderman/Councillor for the City of Brantford from 1855 until 1877. Mr. Elliott was Mayor of the City of Brantford for three years from 1866-1868.