Voters will be heading to the polls on October 27, 2014
As information for voters becomes available, it will be posted here. For more information, the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing provides a comprehensive document for voters called the 2014 Voters' Guide for Ontario Municipal and School Board Elections. This document can be found at the bottom of the page.
Are you on the list of voters for the upcoming municipal and school board elections?
Brantford residents can now find out whether their information is confirmed and updated for the upcoming municipal and school board elections at VoterLookUp.ca. This is an online service provided by MPAC used to build and maintain information that will be used in the preparation of the final Voters’ Lists across Ontario. You can also change/update your school support for electoral purposes and add names to your property address.
Accessing VoterLookUp.ca is easy! To confirm your information is accurately recorded for the upcoming elections, you need to supply:
- Your name and date of birth and,
- Your town/city, property address or assessment roll number, included on your latest Property Assessment Notice.
Visit VoterLookUp.ca today to confirm your elector eligibility or update your electoral information. For more information, call 1-866-296-6722.
New Municipal Ward Boundaries to take effect for the 2014 Municipal Election
City Council passed a by-law in the fall of 2013 to re-divide Brantford’s existing 5 wards, implementing new boundary lines. Public consultation played an important role during the review process. This means for the purpose of the 2014 Municipal Election, you will vote according to the new ward structure. Please note that this also means you may be voting in a different ward from past elections. A map depicting these changes can be found at the bottom of this page.
The following criteria were used in assessing the various options considered during the review process:
• Effective and equitable system of representation
• Wards should preserve communities of interest
• Wards should recognize natural physical features (rivers, lakes, swamps) or natural barriers/dividers (highways, railways)
• Wards should recognize areas of growth/decline, population trends, density
• Wards should recognize accessibility/communication issues
For more information on these changes, please contact the Clerks Department at City Hall.
Who Can Vote?
You are entitled to vote in the municipal election if, on voting day, you:
• Reside in the local municipality or are the owner or tenant of land here, or the spouse of an owner or tenant;
• Are a Canadian citizen;
• Are at least 18 years old; and
• Are not prohibited from voting by law.
You are prohibited from voting if you are:
• Serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution;
• A corporation;
• Acting as executor or trustee or in any other representative capacity, except as a voting proxy; and
• Convicted of the corrupt practice described in subsection 90 (3) of the Municipal Elections Act 1996, as amended, if voting day in the current election is less than five years after voting day in the election in respect of which he or she was convicted.
All eligible electors will receive a Voter Notification Card in the mail prior to Election Day indicating your specific voting location.
MONDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2014
Poll Hours: 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Amend Voters' List
The revision period for the 2014 Municipal Election will commence Tuesday, September 2 and conclude on Monday, October 27. The application form to amend the Voters' List is available below for download in a pdf format.
Appointment Of Voting Proxy
If for any reason you will be unable to cast your ballot in person on Election Day or at an advance poll, proxy voting allows you to appoint another person to vote on your behalf. A voting proxy is someone who is an eligible voter in the City of Brantford and who you trust to vote in accordance with your wishes. The application form to Appoint a Voting Proxy will become available for download in September.
The documents below require the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click to download the Acrobat Reader plugin to your browser.
Clicking on any of the documents below will open a new browser window.