Do you provide interpreters?
No. Anyone requiring an interpreter must make his or her own arrangements.
Is my name on the Voters' List?
After September 2, 2014, you can check to see if your name is on the voters’ list online at www.brantford.ca. Alternatively, you can contact the City Clerk’s office by phone at 519-759-4150 or in person at City Hall during regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).
Where do I get information about being a candidate?
Every person who proposes to be a candidate for any office in the 2014 Municipal Election to be held in the City of Brantford on October 27, 2014, must file a Nomination Paper with the Office of the City Clerk. Nomination Papers can be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office, City Hall, 100 Wellington Square during normal business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).The deadline for filing nominations is Friday, September 12, 2014, at 2:00 p.m. A Nomination Paper may be filed in person or by an agent for the candidate and must be accompanied by: a) a filing fee made payable to the City of Brantford in the form of cash, certified cheque or money order in the amount of $200.00 for the Office of Mayor or $100.00 for all other Offices b) a consent to the nomination and a declaration of qualification, both on the prescribed form, signed by the person being nominated. c) be eligible to vote. No person who proposes to be a candidate may accept contributions for the purpose of the election or incur campaign expenses until that person has filed a completed Nomination Paper.
If I cannot mark my ballot on my own, can I ask for assistance or bring a friend to help me?
Yes. If you are unable to mark your ballot on your own, you can ask any of the election officials for assistance or you may bring a friend. You must swear an oath that you require assistance, and your friend must swear an oath that they will vote as you instructed them to.
I have multiple properties in the City. Can I vote more than once?
No. You are only entitled to one vote, even if you have more than one property. If you live in one ward and have properties in other wards, you may only vote in the ward in which your primary residence is located.
When is the next Municipal Election?
Monday, October 27, 2014
I am visually impaired. How can I vote?
There will be electronic ballot machines available at each location on advance voting days. On Election Day, visually impaired voters may vote at City Hall. Electors who require this option will hear the ballot read over the set of headphones provided and indicate their choice by pressing a hand-held button.
What is a voting proxy and who can be appointed?
If for any reason you will be unable to cast your ballot in person on Election Day or at an advance poll, proxy voting allows you to appoint another person to vote on your behalf. A voting proxy is someone who is an eligible voter in the City of Brantford and who you trust to vote in accordance with your wishes.
Is parking available at all voting locations?
Yes, in varying degrees. Some locations have ample parking, while others may have limited space or on-street parking available. You can minimize parking difficulties by walking, taking public transit, or voting during non-peak times. The peak voting times are first thing in the morning (10:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon) and after 5:00 p.m.
What if I am a student and only live in Brantford while attending school?
If you are temporarily residing in the City of Brantford while attending school, you are allowed to vote if your name appears on the Voters’ List. If it does not, you must add your name prior to or on Election Day by completing the Application to Amend the Voters’ List. You may also vote in the municipality where your permanent home is, provided that you have not abandoned the family home.
Can my proxy appointee vote on their own behalf as well as?
Yes. They must, however, vote at their own voting place if it is different from yours. If you would both vote at the same voting place (i.e. you both live in the same building), then they may vote twice at that location – once for themselves and once acting as your proxy.
How do I mark the ballot?
You vote by marking an X in the box directly to the right of the name of the candidate of your choice with the pen provided.
What if my name is not on the voters’ list or my information is incorrect?
Please visit our website or come to City Clerk’s office at 100 Wellington Square to obtain an Application to Amend the Voters’ List form. Fill out all of the information, including any corrections, such as change of Canadian citizen, address, date of birth, name change or school support change, complete the application form and take it to your voting location on Election Day. Forms will also be available at each voting location on Election Day.
How many times will I act as a voting proxy?
You may act as a voting proxy for one non-related person and/or multiple immediate family members. Immediate family members are your spouse or same-sex partner, sibling(s), parent, children, grandparent, and grandchildren.
What will happen when I go to vote?
Once inside the voting place you will be directed to the next available election official, who will ask for your identification, locate your name on the voters’ list, cross your name off the list, and issue a ballot specific to your declared school support. They will review the instructions on the proper way to mark the ballot and direct you to a voting screen where you will mark your ballot. Once you have marked your ballot, you will take it to the Deputy Returning officer and wait until your ballot has been processed through the vote tabulator and is deposited into the ballot box. You will then promptly leave the voting place.
Who can vote?
On Election Day, Monday, October 27, 2014, you must be: a) A resident of the City of Brantford or be the owner or tenant of land in the City or the spouse of such owner or tenant of property in the City; b) A citizen of Canada; c) At least 18 years old; and d) Not prohibited from voting under any law. Sec. 17(3) of the Municipal Election Act, 1996, as amended, states that the following persons are prohibited from voting: A person who is serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution. A corporation. A person acting as executor or trustee or in any other representative capacity, except as a voting proxy in accordance with section 44. A person who was convicted of the corrupt practice described in subsection 90 (3), if voting day in the current election is less than four years after voting day in the election in respect to which he or she was convicted.
How is my ballot counted?
Poll level electronic vote tabulators will be utilized for counting the ballots as each voting location. All the votes are electronically counted and results will be produced following the close of polls at 8 p.m. on Election night.
How do I become an election worker?
Application forms and information about each position are available online at www.brantford.ca under Elections and at the City Clerk’s office at 100 Wellington Square.
Are all voting locations accessible?
Yes. This year we have again made an effort to ensure that all voting places are accessible to all electors. If you have any concerns regarding your voting location’s accessibility, do not hesitate to call the Clerk’s office at 519-759-4150.
Can I bring an interpreter with me?
Yes. You may ask anyone who is not a candidate or scrutineer to act as an interpreter for you. They must swear an oath that they will faithfully translate any communication between you and the election officials. Interpreters may not go behind the voting screen or assist you in voting.
What if I am in line when the voting place closes?
If you are inside the voting place or in the line to vote prior to closing time at 8 p.m., you will be allowed to vote.
Can I cast a blank ballot?
Where do I vote?
If your name is on the voters’ list, you will receive a Voter Notification Card in the mail in late October. This card will tell you where you vote on Election Day and Advance Voting dates. If you do not receive a voter notification card, please contact the City Clerk’s office at 519-759-4150 or check online at www.brantford.ca.
I added my name to the Voters' List during the last election. Why is my name not on the list?
The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is responsible for preparing the preliminary list of electors used for municipal and school board elections in Ontario. All of the completed application forms are submitted to the MPAC for inclusion in the Voters' List. If you have specific questions about the compilation of the Voters' List you can contact MPAC at 1 (866) 296-6722 or visit their website at [ http://www.mpac.on.ca ]
How do I find my voting place?
The address of your assigned voting place will be on your Voter Notification Card. The voting place will be identified by signage. In the case of a large voting place, such as a school or community centre, additional signs will be placed outside to direct you. If the disabled access is different from the general access, special signage will direct you to the alternate entrance.
How can I obtain a proxy certificate?
You can pick one up at the City Clerk’s office during regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). Proxy certificates will be issued on Tuesday, September 15, after 4:00 p.m., until Election Day, Monday, October 27, 2014.
Will my ballot still be counted if I only vote for one candidate?
What should I take with me to vote?
Voters will be required to provide proof of identity and residency. Even with the Voter Notification Card you will be receiving from the City Clerk's Office the following documentation will be required prior to voting. FROM SECTION 1 BELOW: AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS THAT SHOW NAME, QUALIFYING ADDRESS AND SIGNATURE SUCH AS: 1. An Ontario driver’s licence. 2. An Ontario Health Card (photo card). 3. An Ontario motor vehicle permit (plate portion). OR One piece of documentation from SECTION 2 AND one piece from SECTION 3 below: SECTION 2 - DOCUMENTS THAT SHOW NAME AND SIGNATURE 1. An Ontario driver’s licence. 2. An Ontario Health Card. 3. An Ontario motor vehicle permit (plate portion). 4. A Canadian passport. 5. A Certificate of Canadian Citizenship. 6. A Certificate of Indian Status. 7. A Veterans Affairs Canada Health Card. 8. A social insurance number card. 9. An Old Age Security Card. SECTION 3 - DOCUMENTS THAT SHOW NAME AND QUALIFYING ADDRESS 1. An Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion). 2. An income tax assessment notice. 3. A Child Tax Benefit Statement. 4. A Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E. 5. A Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS). 6. A Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P). 7. A Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions. For additional options contact the City Clerk's Department.
When can I vote?
Election Day is Monday, October 27, 2014. Voting places are open 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Advance Voting dates and locations will be posted onces all arrangements have been finalized If, for any reason, you cannot vote on any of the advance voting days or on Election Day, you can appoint a voting proxy to vote for you.
Who can I contact for more information?
Stephanie Quattrociocchi, Election Assistant 519-759-4150 ext. 2229 squattrociocchi@brantford.ca You may also contact Tanya Daniels, Coordinator of Elections, Insurance & Licensing Enforcement 519-759-4150 ext. 2241 tdaniels@brantford.ca
Who am I voting for?
The following is a list of positions available for Council and School Board seats for which you will be voting on: One (1) Mayor Two (2) Councillors per ward School Trustees, depending on your school support: Grand Erie District School Board: Four (4) Trustees OR Brant Haldimand Norfolk Catholic District School Board: Two (2) Trustees OR Conseil scolaire de district du Centre Sud-Ouest: One (1) Trustee OR Conseil scolaire de district catholique Centre-Sud: One (1) Trustee If you or your spouse are non-resident owners or tenants of land assessed as commercial or industrial, you will be voting for (NO school board trustee): One (1) Mayor Two (2) Councillors in your ward
What if I make a mistake when marking my ballot?
If you make a mistake or change your mind about which candidate you want to vote for, simply return the ballot to the election official. They will cancel the ballot and issue another one to you. If you have any questions about how to properly mark the ballot, any of the election officials will be happy to explain it to you.
If I cannot mark my ballot on my own, can I ask for assistance or bring a friend to help me?
Yes. If you are unable to mark your ballot on your own, you can ask any of the election officials for assistance or you may bring a friend. You must swear an oath that you require assistance, and your friend must swear an oath that they will vote as you instructed them to.
Where can I see the election results?
Soon after polls close at 8 p.m. on Election Day, local radio and television stations will begin to broadcast results. Results will also be posted on the City of Brantford website at www.brantford.ca. You will need a Flash plug-in to view updated results. This plug-in will be available on the website.