2013-14 Development Charges Background Study
Passing of Development Charges Bylaw 38-2014
The Council of the Corporation of the City of Brantford passed Development Charges Bylaw 38-2014 on April 22, 2014 pursuant to the Development Charges Act, 1997.
The Development Charges By-law is available on the City's website. Click for a PDF version of the Bylaw (opens in a new browser window). This document is in Adobe PDF format and will require the Adobe PDF Reader Plugin. For an accessible version, please contact Jim Sangster at 519-759-4150, ext. 4259 or by email. A copy of the complete Bylaw is also availabe for examination in the Clerk's Department at City Hall, 100 Wellington Square during the regular office hours of 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
The Notice of Passing of Development Charges Bylaw 38-2014 is now available on the City's website. Click for a PDF version of the Notice of Passing (opens in a new browser window). This document is in Adobe PDF format and will require the Adobe PDF Reader Plugin. For an accessible version, please contact Jim Sangster at 519-759-4150, ext. 4259 or by email.
Any person or organization may appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board under Section 14 of the Act, in respect of the Development Charges Bylaw, by filing with the Clerk of the City of Brantford on or before the 2nd of June, 2014 (the day that is 40 days after the day the bylaw was passed) a notice of the appeal setting out the objection to the Bylaw and the reasons supporting the objection.
What are Development Charges?
- They are fees levied against new development to pay for the capital costs of servicing growth;
- The principle behind development charges is that “growth pays for growth” so that the financial burden of servicing new development is not borne by existing taxpayers;
- In reality, development charges cannot fully fund growth due to statutory limitations.
Key Study Objectives:
- To prepare growth forecast and capital program needed to service this growth;
- To calculate development charges consistent with the Development Charges Act, 1997 (DCA) and its associated Regulation; and
- To review current DC policies and develop new development charges bylaw(s) and policies which conform to the DCA.
If you have questions with regard to this project, please contact:
Financial Analysis Division
City Hall, 100 Wellington Square
P.O. Box 818 Brantford, ON N3T 5R7
For an accessible version of the documents below, please contact Jim Sangster, 519-759-4150 ext. 4259 or by email.
The documents below require the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click to download the Acrobat Reader plugin to your browser.
Clicking on any of the documents below will open a new browser window.
DEVELOPMENT APPLICATION FEES