Shellard Lane Corridor Improvements
June 2015 Updates on Construction and Planning Matters in the Shellard Lane Neighbourhood
Construction Improvements to Shellard Lane
The following table is a summary of the work needed to complete the Phase 1 construction and carry out the preliminary works for Phase 2. Construction of Phase 2 is identified in year 2018 in the City of Brantford 10 year capital budget forecast.
| Construction Phases
| Outstanding Work and Timelines
|Phase 1 – Shellard Lane (Colborne Street West to west of Conklin Road - 2.4km)
||Year 2015 - Complete construction
June/August - Bell utility relocation west of Conklin Road, landscaping, trenchless sewer lining, deficiency repairs, fence replacement on west side of Diana Avenue at Shellard Lane
July - Top lift asphalt paving and line painting
|For the safety of the travelling public and the road workers, please reduce your speed and drive cautiously through the construction areas
|Phase 2 – Shellard Lane
(West of Conklin Road to the West City limit –
|Years 2015 – 2018
Property acquisitions and completion of
Shellard Lane Phase 1 Construction
Neighbourhood Planning Matters
Building activity remains strong in in the West of Conklin Secondary Plan Area and the owner of the lands, Empire Communities, is moving forward with the balance of their lands which includes consultation with abutting landowners and the City;
Earlier this year, a report and related amendments to the Official Plan and Zoning Bylaw were approved by Council to implement the Neighbourhood Plan for the lands to the north of Shellard Lane, which includes a Community Centre and Sports Complex.
Vic Bohdanow, P. Eng.
Public Works Commission
City of Brantford
Phone: 519-759-1350 ext. 5705
K.C. (Karen) Pongracz, MCIP, RPP
Current Development Planner
City of Brantford
Phone: 519-759-4222 ext. 5415
The City of Brantford will be reconstructing Shellard Lane from Colborne Street West to the West City Limits in 2 Phases. The project is moving forward after the completion of a Class Environmental Assessment study in April 2013 and the detailed design in February 2014.
Construction for Phase 1 of this project, extending from Colborne Street West to approximately 1 kilometre west of Conklin Road, began in May 2014 and was completed by late fall 2014, to base asphalt layer on the road. Top lift asphalt will be completed in late spring/ summer 2015. Phase 2 is scheduled for 2018 pending Council approval.
If you have any comments or questions regarding the project, please contact either of the following:
Mr. Vic Bohdanow, P. Eng.
Public Works Commission, City of Brantford
Brantford, ON, N3T 2M3
Phone: 519-759-1350 ext. 2249 | Fax: 519-754-0724 | Email: VBohdanow@brantford.ca
Mr. David Sinke, P. Eng.
Consultant Project Manager, AMEC Environment & Infrastructure
3215 North Service Road, Burlington, ON L7N 3G2
Phone: 905-335-2353 | Toll Free: 1-866-751-2353 | Fax: 905-335-1414 | Email: email@example.com
Design and Study Findings
The City of Brantford completed the detail design for improvements to Shellard Lane from Colborne Street West to the west city limit, in February 2014.
Shellard Lane Corridor Improvements Environmental Study Report - Completed April 2013
The City of Brantford completed the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment study for improvements to Shellard Lane from Colborne Street West to the West City Limit, in the City of Brantford. An Environmental Study Report has been developed and public comments have been received. The study is available at City Hall and at both branches of Brantford Public Library. It is also available as a series of PDF documents at the bottom of this page. Please note that some of the files are very large.
The Class EA process has included public and agency review and consultation, an evaluation of road improvement alternatives, an assessment of the potential environmental effects of the proposed improvements and identification of reasonable measures to mitigate any adverse impacts that may result.
Key Elements of Recommended Design
The study has identified and evaluated a variety of reconstruction and widening alternatives to help improve traffic flow for all modes of travel along Shellard Lane, including a combination of the following:
- Addition of through lanes and turning lanes;
- Intersection and entrance modifications;
- Cycling and pedestrian facilities;
- Traffic control upgrades, and
- Landscape planting.
In addition to potential road capacity improvements, the study has identified and addressed other engineering aspects of the roadway including drainage, storm sewers, pavement condition, utilities, illumination, and transit services.
The documents below require the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click to download the Acrobat Reader plugin to your browser.
Clicking on any of the documents below will open a new browser window.
- ENVIRONMENTAL STUDY REPORT - Prelim Design Improvements Shellard Lane 6,000 kb
- Appendix A - Notice of Study Commencement 4,600 kb
- Appendix B - Transportation & Traffic Report 7,300 kb
- Appendix C - Geotechnical Investigation Report 3,500 kb
- Appendix D - D'Aubigny Structure Inventory 224 kb
- Appendix E - Terrestrial Ecosystem Existing Conditions 8,000 kb
- Appendix F - Fish and Fish Habitat Existing Conditions 24,600 kb
- Appendix G - Ecosystem Impact Assessment 4,500 kb
- Appendix H - Stormwater Management Report 12,400 kb
- Appendix I - Stage 1 Archaeological Assessment 8,700 kb
- Appendix J - Traffic Noise Study 8,400 kb
- Appendix K - Meeting Minutes 3,300 kb
- Appendix L - Public Information Centre Number 1 5,900 kb
- Appendix M - Public Information Centre Number 2 11,100 kb
- Appendix N - Cost Estimate 259 kb
- Appendix O - Notice of Completion 110 kb
- Drawing 1 Existing Conditions 5,000 kb
- Drawing 2 Preferred Design Option 1 2,700 kb
- Drawing 3 Preferred Design Option 2 3,800 kb
- Shellard Lane Public Information Centre No. 1 - Presentation Material
- Shellard Lane Public Information Centre No. 2 - Presentation Material
- November 6, 2013 Public Information Centre: Shellard Lane Improvements Detailed Design