Shellard Lane Corridor Improvements Environmental Study Report
The City of Brantford has completed the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment study for improvements to Shellard Lane from Colborne Street West to the West City Limit, in the City of Brantford. An Environmental Study Report has been developed and is ready for public comments. The study is available at City Hall and at both branches of Brantford Public Library. It is also available as a series of PDF documents at the bottom of this page. Please note that some of the files are very large.
If you have any comments or questions regarding the study, contact:
Mr. Vic Bohdanow, P.Eng.
Public Works Commission
City of Brantford
City Hall - 100 Wellington Square
Brantford, ON, N3T 2M3
Phone: 519-759-1350 ext. 2249
Mr. David Sinke, P. Eng.
Consultant Project Manager
AMEC Environment & Infrastructure
3215 North Service Road
Burlington, ON L7N 3G2
Toll Free: 1-866-751-2353
The City of Brantford has completed a Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (Class EA) study for improvements to Shellard Lane from Colborne Street West to the West City Limit, in the City of Brantford. The need and justification for the improvements were established in the Brantford Transportation Master Plan that was completed in February 2007.
The Class EA process has included public and agency review and consultation, an evaluation of road improvement alternatives, an assessment of the potential environmental effects of the proposed improvements and identification of reasonable measures to mitigate any adverse impacts that may result.
KEY ELEMENTS OF RECOMMENDED DESIGN
The study has identified and evaluated a variety of reconstruction and widening alternatives to help improve traffic flow for all modes of travel along Shellard Lane, including a combination of the following:
- Addition of through lanes and turning lanes;
- Intersection and entrance modifications;
- Cycling and pedestrian facilities;
- Traffic control upgrades, and
- Landscape planting.
In addition to potential road capacity improvements, the study has identified and addressed other engineering aspects of the roadway including drainage, storm sewers, pavement condition, utilities, illumination, and transit services.
An Environmental Study Report has been prepared to document the planning, public consultation and decision making process. This report is being placed on public record for review at the following locations for 30 calendar days, beginning March 15, 2013 and ending April 15, 2013. The report is also available below as a series of PDF documents. Subject to comments received as a result of this Notice and the receipt of necessary approvals, the City of Brantford intends to proceed with the detail design and construction, as documented in the Environmental Study Report.
Engineering Desk, Brantford City Hall
100 Wellington Square,
P.O. Box 818,
Brantford, ON, N3T 2M3
Mon. to Fri.-8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday - closed.
Brantford Public Library - Main Library
173 Colborne Street,
Brantford, ON, N3T 2G8
Mon. to Thurs. -9:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m.
Friday-9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Saturday-9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Sunday- 1:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
St. Paul Avenue Branch Library
441 St. Paul Avenue
Tel: (519) 753-2179
Tuesday - Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday to Monday Closed
PUBLIC COMMENT INVITED
Comments regarding the Environmental Study Report must be provided in writing to the City of Brantford or the Consulting Engineer, AMEC Environment and Infrastructure, by April 15, 2013. If concerns regarding this project cannot be resolved in discussion with City of Brantford staff, a person or party may request that the Minister of the Environment make an order for the project to comply with Part II of the Environmental Assessment Act, which addresses individual environmental assessments. This request (referred to as a Part II Order) must be received within the above 30 calendar day review period by the Minister, at the following address:
Minister of the Environment
77 Wellesley St. West., 11th Floor, Ferguson Block,
Toronto, ON M7A 2T5
A copy of the request must also be sent to the General Manager, Public Works Commission, City of Brantford. If no request is received by April 15, 2013, 4:30 p.m., the City of Brantford may proceed with detailed design and construction.
The documents below require the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click to download the Acrobat Reader plugin to your browser.
Clicking on any of the documents below will open a new browser window.
- ENVIRONMENTAL STUDY REPORT - Prelim Design Improvements Shellard Lane 6,000 kb
- Appendix A - Notice of Study Commencement 4,600 kb
- Appendix B - Transportation & Traffic Report 7,300 kb
- Appendix C - Geotechnical Investigation Report 3,500 kb
- Appendix D - D'Aubigny Structure Inventory 224 kb
- Appendix E - Terrestrial Ecosystem Existing Conditions 8,000 kb
- Appendix F - Fish and Fish Habitat Existing Conditions 24,600 kb
- Appendix G - Ecosystem Impact Assessment 4,500 kb
- Appendix H - Stormwater Management Report 12,400 kb
- Appendix I - Stage 1 Archaeological Assessment 8,700 kb
- Appendix J - Traffic Noise Study 8,400 kb
- Appendix K - Meeting Minutes 3,300 kb
- Appendix L - Public Information Centre Number 1 5,900 kb
- Appendix M - Public Information Centre Number 2 11,100 kb
- Appendix N - Cost Estimate 259 kb
- Appendix O - Notice of Completion 110 kb
- Drawing 1 Existing Conditions 5,000 kb
- Drawing 2 Preferred Design Option 1 2,700 kb
- Drawing 3 Preferred Design Option 2 3,800 kb
- Shellard Lane Public Information Centre No. 1 - Presentation Material
- Shellard Lane Public Information Centre No. 2 - Presentation Material