The City of Brantford has chosen Walter Gretzky to be our community’s difference-maker. On November 30, 2011, Walter will carry the Rick Hansen Medal into Brantford’s Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre, kicking off our community’s End of Day Celebration.
The Brant News ran an essay contest that asked who your community difference-maker is. The public voted ... and congratulations to Mary Jonker! Mary will walk alongside Walter Gretzky during the Brantford leg of the 25th Anniversary Rick Hansen Relay. Click to read the winning entry, submitted to the Brant News by Irene Heltner. This will open in a new browser window.
What’s a Difference-Maker?
Difference-makers are just as they sound: people who have made a difference in a variety of ways. Those selected will have the opportunity to be one of roughly 7,000 medal-bearers who will collectively cover the 12,000 km cross-Canada relay.
- Championing Inclusivity – creating a more inclusive and accessible society.
- Empowering Youth – engaging a new generation to become catalysts for positive change.
- Protecting the Planet – contributing to the protection and sustainability of the environment.
- Promoting Health – encouraging others to live a healthy, active lifestyle.
- Medical Progress – advancing research or healthcare for the betterment of others.