Mayor's Chain of Office
Ancient knights of medieval history wore devices in colour emblazoned on their shields, armor and clothes to identify their families and allegiance. Today, mayors of municipal councils throughout the democratic world wear distinctive chains of office. The Chain of Office is to be worn by the Mayor of the City of Brantford on official occasions. On, January 3, 1967, Alderman George A. Ludlow presented the Chain of Office to Mayor Richard Beckett at the Inaugural Meeting of City Council. In his speech, Alderman Ludlow noted that the number "seven" is of recurring significance in dates in Brantford history:
- In 1807 the second house was built at Brant's Ford, the first house having been erected two years earlier.
- In 1827 the Biggar Bridge was built over the Grand River near where the Lorne Bridge now stands.
- The first Town Bell was installed in 1837.
- The Village of Brantford became a town in 1847 (twenty years before Confederation).
- The Town of Brantford became a City in the year 1877.
- The first radio broadcasts over CKPC of the City Council in Session were made in 1947.
- The presentation of the Chain of Office was made in 1967, Canada's Centennial Year.
- The City of Brantford Chain of Office is a combination of gold and rhodium symbols mounted on a red velvet collar. Each of the 16 medallions on the collar has symbolic significance to the City of Brantford.
- There are two City of Brantford Crests on the Chain of Office. The small one located on the velvet collar is a replica of the original large medallion on the Chain presented to Mayor Beckett in 1967. As the artistic depiction of the Native Canadian on this medallion was historically incorrect, a new large medallion was later made to portray the correct historical dress of the Mohawk people at the time of Captain Joseph Brant, namesake of the City of Brantford.