If you have any questions regarding accessibility within the City of Brantford, please contact the Coordinator of the Municipal Accessibility Plan:
100 Wellington Square
P.O. Box 818,
Brantford, Ontario N3T 5R7
If you have questions regarding accessibility related to services, facilities or events not run by the City of Brantford, please visit the Ministry of Economic Development, Employment and Infrastructure at www.accesson.ca or the Ontario Human Rights Commission at www.ohrc.on.ca
About Accessibility in Brantford
Did you know?
- One in seven Ontarians have a disability, that is 1.85 million people.
- It is estimated that by 2036 one in five Ontarians will be living with a disability as the population ages.
- Enhancing the ability of persons with disabilities to live independently and contribute to the community will have positive effects on the future prosperity of Brantford and Ontario as a whole.
- Accessibilty benefits everyone.
The City of Brantford is working diligently to enhance accessibility in our facilities and the range of services we provide to the community. In an effort to continually improve accessibility, various City of Brantford staff have undergone accessibility training to ensure our facilities and communication standards comply with current AODA legislation guidelines and requirements. For example, all public information and communications provided by the City are available in alternative accessible format upon request. Additionally, staff are currently in the process of revising the templates of various public documents to make them more accessible to individuals who may require the use of adaptive technology. Mindful of the scope and scale of individuals with disabilities, below are a series of additional initiatives currently underway to make Brantford more accessible.
- Brantford has an advisory committee that advises City Council on all accessibility issues. The Brantford Accessibility Advisory Committee meets on the first Thursday of each month, except July and August.
- Brantford has an accessibility plan that is reviewed annually. The 2014-17 Brantford Accessibility Plan was approved by City Council on June 23, 2014.
- The Brantford Facility Accessibility Design Standards were approved in 2009. Since that time, all new construction and applicable renovations of all City owned, operated or leased facilities have followed the Standards. The Standards are a set of standardized measurements that will allow the same level of accessibility for all individuals, regardless of level of ability, in all barrier free construction and renovations.
- Brantford has an Accessibility Policy that includes the City's Statement of Organizational Commitment. Click to download the policy (PDF, opens in a new browser window). This document is in Adobe PDF format and will require the Adobe PDF Reader Plugin. Contact Accessibility Plan Coordinator at 519-759-4150 ext. 2266 or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request the policy in an accessible format.
- Click to access the Brantford Accessibility Plan Achievements 2009-2013 report (opens in a new browser window). This document is in Adobe PDF format and will require the Adobe PDF Reader Plugin.
- Click to review the draft City of Brantford Accessibility Standard (PDF, opens in a new browser window). This document is in Adobe PDF format and will require the Adobe PDF Reader Plugin. Once the Accessibility Standard has been approved, the forms in the appendices, Alternative Format Request Form, Notification of Planned Disruption of Service and Notification of Unplanned Disruption of Service, will be made available in an accessible format.
- The City of Brantford is in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (opens in a new window) and its associated legislation.
If you would like to provide feedback surrounding the accessibility of goods and services offered by the City of Brantford please:
All questions and concerns can be forwarded to the Coordinator of the Municipal Accessibility Plan, Jenny Sawicki. Additional assistance can be provided as requested.
Phone: 519-759-4150 ext. 2266
Service Request: submit a Service Request for Accessibility located on myBrantford
100 Wellington Square, P.O. Box 818, Brantford, Ontario N3T 5R7
To celebrate National Access Awareness Week 2016, the City of Brantford is pleased to announce the launch of an Accessibility Awards Recognition Program to recognize the outstanding achievements in the area of accessibility to organizations within our community that meet and/or exceed the legislated standards of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA).
Specifically, the program will recognize, congratulate, and show appreciation to organizations within our community:
- that meet and/or exceed the legislated standards of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA); and
- that have demonstrated a commitment to providing excellent accessibility initiatives to accommodate persons with disabilities.
The City of Brantford Accessibility Award will provide an independent, third party verification of the work being done by organizations in the private and not-for-profit sector.
Elements of the program will include a Certificate of Recognition to be presented to each award recipient by Brantford City Council as well as a letter of congratulations from the City of Brantford and identifiable window decals that may be displayed in a prominent position within the business to identify that the business supports accessibility for people with disabilities. The City will also acknowledge recipients publicly on the City’s website and related media announcements.
Specific details of the Program, including application and nomination criteria, the evaluation process and form of recognition will be posted in this space within the coming weeks. In the meantime, please contact 519-759-4150 for more information.
The documents below require the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click to download the Acrobat Reader plugin to your browser.
Clicking on any of the documents below will open a new browser window.