General Property Tax Information 

City of Brantford Property Tax Office

Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (holidays excluded)

Civic Address: 220 Colborne Street, Brantford, ON  N3T 2H1  
Mailing Address: PO Box 515, Brantford, ON  N3T 6L6
Phone: 519-750-1072
Fax: 519-770-1259



DUE DATES:      First:  Friday, February 27 
                                Second:  Wednesday, April 29


Your 2015 Interim Bill uses the 2015 assessed value, times half of the 2014 tax rate, to calculate your Interim taxes, limited to not more than 50% of the total 2014 billing.  If you have received a 50% limiting credit, it will show in the “Special Charges/Credits” area.  For properties that have experienced any tax-class changes or assessment increases, any tax increase for 2015 will be reflected on the Final Bill in June.  The Final Bill will show your total 2015 tax amount.

Penalty and Interest Charges :

On overdue taxes, a penalty of 1.25% will be added on the day of default of any instalment, plus 1.25% on the first day of each month thereafter until paid.  Interest of 1.25% on tax arrears and other charges, is added on the first day of each month until paid. 

Not Your Bill ? : if, through change of ownership, you are not responsible for payment of taxes on this property, kindly forward this bill to the new owner, or return it to the tax office, indicating to whom transfer of title has been made.  Thank you.

Assessment and Tax Appeals:

Where you feel that the assessment of your property is incorrect, appeals can be made to the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC).  This information is outlined on the last Assessment notice you received.  Appeal forms are available at this Tax Office, or at the Assessment Office at 53 Charing Cross St.   Forms can also be downloaded from

Where there is a change in the status of your property due to damage by fire, demolition, change in use, etc., notice in writing must be given to the Tax Office, on the prescribed form (called form # 357) in order that an appeal can be prepared and presented to City Council for a tax adjustment.  The City obtains the change in assessed value and/or tax class from MPAC in order to calculate the adjustment.  Appeals must be filed by the last day of February following the taxation year.  (February 28/15 for 2014 taxes.)

Supplementary Assessments :

Properties that undergo alterations, additions, or a change in tax class (e.g. Residential to Commercial) will receive a “ NOTICE OF SUPPLEMENTARY (or OMITTED) ASSESSMENT “ from the assessment office, (MPAC), as per the Assessment Act, 1990, s.33 & 34. You will then receive a Supplementary or Omitted Tax Bill, after the regular Final Tax Bill has been issued. For newly constructed homes or buildings, it can take up to three years for the assessment to be given to the City, but taxes are payable from the date it is ready for occupancy or possession. Please plan ahead by setting aside funds for these potentially large retroactive tax billings. You can set-up PAP payments to start paying ahead of time against these future billings. Please call this office for details and an estimate of payments.

Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP) Plans :

There are three PAP plans:

“Monthly” (Regular) plan, for properties with taxes paid up-to-date.  This 12-month plan begins December 1 prior to the taxation year, and ends November 1 of the taxation year. 

“Due-Date” plan, meaning your four regular instalments will be deducted from your bank account on each of the four due-dates as shown on your tax bills.

“Self-Directed” plan, for properties that have taxes in arrears, or for those who wish to specify a certain amount.  You would have your taxes deducted monthly for an amount which you choose.  This would be processed on the last banking day of each month.  It is primarily used by those who now give us post-dated cheques, and also by those who have arrears, and cannot join the regular Monthly PAP Plan.  Penalty & interest will continue to apply on tax arrears, until they are paid in full.

Application forms are available at the Tax Office, or on the City website:

Payment Options :

PAYMENT IN PERSON :  At the TAX OFFICE: at 220 Colborne Street (N3T 2H1). An after-hours drop-box is located under the windows to the left of the entrance on Colborne St.  Post-dated cheques and the payment-stubs for both instalments can be left early to avoid missing the due-dates.

BY MAIL :  To P.O. Box 515, Brantford, ON  N3T 6L6.  Late mail is subject to late penalty.  To avoid late-payment penalties, your mailed payment must arrive in our office on or before the due-date. 

BANKS, CREDIT UNIONS, etc.:  Payments may also be made at your own financial institution, on or before the due date.  Check for various ways you can pay your property tax bill with them.  They may charge a fee for their services.  (For ATM or Internet payment, please use the 8-digit account number.) 

Please safeguard your bills and receipts.  There is a fee for a duplicate tax bill or written receipt.  For income tax purposes, just insert the annual tax amount you paid on the appropriate schedule.  You do not have to send a copy of your Tax Bill or a receipt unless specifically requested by the Canada Revenue Agency.

FROM THE OBLIGATION TO PAY TAXES WHEN DUE.  Municipal Act, 2001 s.343(10)

Tax Sale Legislation :

If your property taxes are in arrears for all or part of three years as at January 1, it is subject to the Municipal Tax Sale Act, and subject to our fees and costs for all notices sent to inform you of this matter.


Enquiries about your property's current value assessment (CVA) should be made to the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation, P.O. Box 9808, TORONTO, ON M1S 5T9 ( ) (phone: 1-866-296-6722); (fax: 1-866-297-6703) or (e-mail: ). 

Enquiries about your tax bill only, should be made to the Tax Office at 220 Colborne St; by phone (519-750-1072) or fax (519-770-1259) or e-mail (  Any other questions about services provided by the City should be made to the Department responsible for that service (main phone: 519-759-4150). 

Click to find out more about property current value assessment (opens in a new window).  

How Can We Help You?

Submit a service or information request online.