Past 

1849

For fire protection, Brantford Council gave permission to I. Cockshutt and D. McKay to dig a well and place a pump on the north side of Colborne Street.

1861

Brantford Council provided for the construction of six cisterns in the downtown area. These cisterns were twelve feet in diameter with a water depth of ten feet.

1870

Brantford Council provided $18,500 for a private water company to provide adequate water supply for the City. The funds were used to build a pumping station at the Colborne and Clarence Street intersection. Water, from a spring fed creek, was pumped using two rotary pumps. The pumping station supplied a distribution system consisting of 4" and 6" watermains and eighteen hydrants.

1886

The system, at this time, was largely for fire protection. With the growth of the community to a population of 12 000, citizens became dissatisfied with the limited service and purchased the water system, with its 14.5 km of mains, for $64 500. The site chosen for the new Waterworks was to be on the flats lying between the Grand River and Holmedale Power. An infiltration system was constructed by laying collection tiles on the clay subsurface to collect a large quantity of water which was transported to a well at the pumping station. Over the next twenty-five years, in an attempt to supply more water into the collection system, several modifications to this gallery collection system were made. One of these modifications was the building of a weir in the Grand River known as "Waterworks Dam". 

1920

The collection gallery supplied two pump wells; one supplied the original steam pumps and the other supplied the electrically operated centrifugal pumps and the steam turbine operated centrifugal pumps. The only treatment to the water was natural filtration and chlorination with "chloride of lime" for disinfection purposes.

1930

The existing water purification plant, designed to treat 22 ML per day, was constructed at this time. The main components in the plant were the mixing chamber, settling tanks, rapid sand filters, clear well and filtered water reservoir. The water to be treated was obtained from the infiltration gallery augmented with water drawn by gravity from the Grand River via the Holmedale canal and at times, water pumped from the river.

1952

At this time, an addition to the plant was made expanding the capacity to 45 ML per day. Improvements and enhancements were made relating to the chemical treatment of the water. Activated silica was introduced to aid the alum in the coagulation process. Activated carbon was introduced to combat taste and odour.

1962

The construction of pre-treatment facilities which included a new intake, a screen house and new lowlift pumping station were completed.

1997

The Brantford Water Purification Plant has a rated capacity of 100 ML per day and serves a population of approximately 88 000. The treatment process consists of disinfection, coagulation, flocculation, sedimentation, filtration, and fluoridation.

1999

The plant was changed so that coagulation, flocculation and sedimentation occurs prior to disinfection. With this change, the chlorine by-products have been reduced and there is a better overall quality of water.

2003

A new residual (sludge) management facility was constructed replacing the lagoons. In the new residual management facility, the sludge is thickened and dewatered into cakes (wet soil). The cake material is disposed at the City landfill. The effluent (supernatant) from the process, which is much cleaner than the water in the Grand River, will be discharged back to the River. The floating membrane cover on the 18,300 cubic meter treated water storage reservoir was replaced with a cast-in-place concrete roof. The reservoir was separated into two cells by construction of a load-bearing wall to facilitate better maintenance. Baffles were installed in the cells to improve the flow pattern in the reservoir and prevent water quality degradation.