When do I get paid?
After the private lead water service has been replaced, with a satisfactory inspection of the replacement by the City the property owner will submit the following: A detailed invoice of the work completed by the contractor, signed Work Completion form, indicating the work has been completed by the contractor and the Promissory Note. The grant and loan amounts will be advanced in one payment and directly transferred to the contractor. Repayment of the loan amount plus interest (as determined by Infrastructure Ontario) will be transferred to the owner’s Water and Wastewater account, to be paid, over a period as selected by the applicant(s) owner in the application Form.
Why should I take advantage of this program?
The City of Brantford is committed to protecting the health and safety of its community. The City is giving a one-time lump sum up to $1,000. There is no interest and the grant does not have to be repaid. There are no application fees. The fees are also being waived for the water service inspection and the water service connection permit.
Can I use the grant and/or loan to replace my service line if it is not made of lead?
No. The grant and/or loan can only be utilized toward the replacement of private water services that are substantially composed of lead. Thus, copper and other services do no apply.
How long will this program continue?
The program will continue as long as funds are available. The grants will be approved on a first come first serve basis. Please also ensure that you submit a complete application form, as any incomplete information will result in application rejection.
What expenses can be covered by Private Lead Water Service Financial Assistance Program?
The grant and the loan cover the cost of the private lead service line replacement, including labour, excavation, connection to the curb stop, relocating or connecting internal plumbing and pipe materials only. The grant and loan cannot be used to cover any other costs such as repaving either partially or in its entirety a driveway, landscaping or any other costs deemed by the General Manager and/or designate to be unnecessary for the explicit replacement of the owner’s lead service line.
How do I know if I am a successful applicant?
Once your application is reviewed, successful applicants will receive a Commitment Letter and Promissory Note from the General Manager of the Public Works Commission outlining the terms and conditions of the grant and/or loan between the homeowner and the City. The Commitment Letter will detail the eligible grant amount (of up to $1,000) and the loan amount (up to $3,000).
Where can I find a contractor?
It is highly recommended that property owners obtain quotes from at least three contractors because cost may vary substantially. Only contractors who are properly licensed to replace or reline sewer laterals and water services are qualified to perform this work. This includes licensed plumbing contractors and licensed drain or sewer contractors. For a current listing(1) of Plumbing Contractors and Sewer/Drain Contractors who are licensed to do business in the City of Brantford, check the City’s website at www.brantford.ca/plumbingtrades and scroll to the bottom of the page. If it is the home owner’s preference to use a plumber who is not on the list, the City will require that the plumber first obtain a license as required under the City’s Business Licensing By-law. (1)Disclaimer: This listing does not contain contact information. Licensed contractors can be found in the yellow pages of the phone book or searched online. The City does not provide recommendations on plumbing contractors or sewer or drain contractors. Verification of the qualifications of contractors on this list in respect of Plumbing Trade License, or Sewer or Drain Contractor License, and liability insurance coverage is the responsibility of the property owner. Neither the City of Brantford nor any of its agents, officers or employees, make any warranty, express or implied, or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information provided by the business licensing list.

List of Licensed Sewer Drain Contractors in the Lead Water Service Replacement Grant Program

Trained Contractors Phone Numbers
A & B Contracting 519-758-5053
Adlam Contracting Ltd 519-753-5185
BC Plumbing 519-770-6652
Clean Shot Environmental Services 519-732-6658
Morley’s Contracting 519-757-7740
Plumbway 905-574-3456
Roto Rooter 226-400-2210
What is the cost to me?
The replacement of a private service line can vary from $900 to $3,000. Costs will depend on the length of service line to be replaced, and the restoration required. It is always better to receive more than one (1) quote to receive the best possible price. Follow these tips for getting the best price from contractors: 1. Obtain as many quotes as possible 2. Try negotiating with the contractor for a better price 3. Have the work done during the slow period (ie. late fall or early spring)
Why Replace a Lead Service?
Lead is generally not present in source water, but can be present in tap water through corrosion of the water service pipe and plumbing materials that are made of lead. The effect of lead in drinking water is a concern for pregnant women and children under 6 years old, because lead can affect a child’s neurological development. It’s recommended that people with lead water service pipes flush their tap water for at least five minutes twice a day. This water flushing is not only a waste of drinking water (3600 litres per month) but it can also become expensive. The use of filters or buying bottled water for drinking and cooking can also become costly and is not a permanent solution.
Who is Eligible?
All property owners within the City can qualify for the program if the following criteria are met:
  1. Must have a confirmed private lead water service; and
  2. Must receive municipal City water; and
  3. Must not have commenced replacement of private lead water service prior to grant approval by the City; and
  4. Have current and paid property taxes at the time of application for the grant.
How do I Apply for the Private Lead Water Service Replacement Financial Assistance Program?
In order to apply for the grant the property owner must complete the online form located ( ) and submit a copy of the preferred quote.
Who should I contact in the City if I have any comments or questions regarding the Program?
For questions/comments regarding the Lead Service Replacement Financial Assistance Grant Program contact the Public Works Commission at 519-759-4150 ext. 5400.
What is a Private Lead Water Service?
Private Lead Service Diagram It is the portion of the water service running from the property line into the building up to the water meter that is substantially composed of lead.
Do I have a lead water service?
If your home was built before the 1950s the water service line may be composed of lead. The attached map shows locations that have lead water services. It is recommended to contact the Public Works Commission to confirm this information at 519-759-4150 ext. 5834. Click to view the Map
What is the purpose of the Private Lead Waster Service Financial Assistance Program?
The Private Lead Water Service Replacement Financial Assistance Program was created to encourage City of Brantford property owners to replace the lead water service on their property. While private water services are the responsibility of the owner, the City of Brantford has developed this financial assistance program as an incentive to remove the lead water services in homes. Financial assistance in the form of a grant up to $1,000 per water service and an interest bearing loan up to a maximum of $3,000 towards the cost of replacement is available to eligible property owners.
What else do I need to do?
When ready to replace your lead water service, the property owner or the contractor must obtain at least three business days in advance:

1- A Water Service Permit and schedule a Water Service Inspection by calling the City’s Customer Services Department (220 Colborne St., 519-756-1360); and
2- Call Ontario One for utility locates at 1800-400-2255; and
3-Schedule a lead test BEFORE and AFTER the lead water service has been replaced. Please contact the Compliance Division at 519- 759-4150 Ext. 5834.
All fees associated with administration, lead testing, utility locates, Water Service Permit and Inspection have been been waived. In case of an emergency replacement due to a lead water service leak, please contact the Public Works Commission at 519-759-4150 Ext. 5400.