Outdoor Bar and Restaurant Patios are Smoke-free
Starting Jan. 1, 2015, it is illegal to smoke on all restaurant and bar patios (covered and uncovered) under the Smoke-free Ontario Act.
A restaurant or bar patio is defined as an area:
- The public can access to eat food or drink beverages, for a fee or at no cost
- Where food or drinks are served, sold or offered by employees
- That is not a private home
To learn more, read the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care factsheet.
Additional changes to the Smoke-Free Ontario Act include:
- No smoking on playgrounds and public sports fields
- No selling tobacco on university and college campuses
ALL Parks and Playgrounds are NOW Smoke-Free!
In Brantford, smoking on all municipal and regional properties is restricted
- Sports or playing fields
- Splash pads and outdoor pools
- Picnic shelters and pavilions
- Festival and events located on municipal and regional property
- Properties such as city hall, libraries and recreation centres
Tobacco Control Officers will conduct inspections and enforce the smoking legislation.
To report a complaint, call Parks & Recreation at 519.756.1500. You may also submit a Service & Information Request online, using MyBrantford.
For resources to quit smoking, click to view Brant County Health Unit tobacco information.