Alexander Graham Bell Gardens 

Bell MemorialIn 1904, Frank Cockshutt proposed that Alexander Graham Bell should be commemorated for his invention of the telephone.  Two years later, in 1906, the Bell Telephone Memorial Association was organized to commemorate this invention.  Funds were raised by the Association with contributions from the Federal Government, City and County Councils and present and former residents of Brantford. In 1908, invititations to submit a model for a suitable memorial were sent to sculptors throughout the world.  The Bell Memorial Association set up a design committee to review the nine submitted models and awarded the project to W.S. Allward of Toronto (also famous for the Vimy Memorial, France).  The memorial was to have been completed in 1912 but, due to WW1, was not unveiled until October 24, 1917.

The Bell Memorial is an impressive monument consisting of an immense mass of white Stanstead granite faced with the largest single bronze casting of its time.  Conceptually, the sculpture is quite symbolic and is meant to convey the discovery of manís power to transmit sound through space.  The bronze panel depicts in relief the reclining figure of man above whom a female figure floats.  Representing ìInspirationî, the figure urges man on to greater endeavours, while at the other of the panel await the figures of ìKnowledgeî, ìJoyî and ìSorrowî, all brought to man by the telephone.  Representing ìHumanityî are two, bronze heroic female figures standing on granite pedestals to the front and on both sides of the main panel.

One figure is portrayed in the act of sending, other in receiving a message over the telephone.  The power of the telephone to traverse great distances is implied by the distance between the two free standing figures.

On the rear of the monument is a stone foundation with bullfrog gargoyles.  Cut into the stone, on pilasters, are representations of the British Crown and Maple Leaf.  On one side of the monument, a bronze plaque commemorates the names of the patrons and of the executive committee of the Bell Telephone Memorial Association.

Layout of the park today is similar to the original 1914 Dunnington-Grubb report.  The central walkway leading up to the memorial remains and is both divided and flanked by colourful annual beds and park benches.

click to go back to park locations