Financial Assistance (Subsidy) 

What is Child Care Subsidy?

Child Care Subsidy helps families pay for child care costs at licensed programs in the community, so that families can work, attend school or place a child with special or social needs. Families who are eligible will receive either full or partial subsidy.

Funding for subsidized child care comes from both the province and the municipality. Funding is not available for every licenced child care space. Whether or not the City will be able to subsidize your child's space depends upon the availability of subsidy dollars and your eligibility. Requests for subsidized child care are handled on a first come, first serve basis. There is a procedure to get your child's name on the waiting list.

Determine your eligibility for fee subsidy with our child care subsidy calculator

View the Child care subsidy calculator in a new window

How do I apply?

  1. Call Children's Services to complete a telephone inquiry 519-759-3330. In order to complete the inquiry we will be asking personal financial details regarding your family net income. This information can be found on your Child Tax Benefit Notice or your Federal Notice of Assessment.
  2. You will be advised to provide supporting documentation, which can be dropped off at the main reception desk at 220 Colborne Street or faxed in to 519-759-1750.  
  3. Apply online for a child care.

What will I need?

Identification Information:

  • Social Insurance Papers
  • Immigration Papers
  • Change of address/phone number
  • Proof of OW/ODSP


  • Income tax, Federal Notice of Assessment
  • Child Tax Benefit Notice

More information on applying

You can call The Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281 if you do not have a copy of your Federal Notice of Assessment or 1-800-387-1193 if you do not have a copy of your Canada Child Tax Benefit Notice.

In some cases parents are not eligible for full child care subsidy but are eligible for partial child care subsidy.

Employment Verification:

  • Two recent consecutive pay stubs· Letter from your employer, if you are returning to work or starting new employment. The letter must indicate days/hours of work, start date and rate of pay· Record of employment (if applicable)

Student Verification:

  • School registration and time table

Self-Employed Verification:

  • Business registration forms
  • Most recent Business and/or Personal Income Tax Returns
  • Income Tax Notice of Assessment


  • Only disability expenses not covered by Government or Insurance Company will be considered

Professionally Referred

  • For a therapeutic referral or special needs the inquiry will be held until two referral letters from professionals have been received in our office.

Where will my child be placed?

Every effort will be made to accommodate the parents choice of a program.Child Care subsidies are available for children to attend licensed child care programs including:

  • Wee Watch Home Day Care; or,
  • Community based child care centres

PDF download icon graphic The documents below require the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click to download the Acrobat Reader plugin to your browser.

Clicking on any of the documents below will open a new browser window.