What do I do if I lose my keys?
You will need to contact your Property Manager to obtain new keys. There may be an administrative charge to replace your keys. PLEASE REMEMBER, tenants cannot change their locks or add a new lock without permission of the Property Manager.
How much can my rent be increased?
If you are a Market Rent tenant your rent can be increased once every 12 months by the annual rent guidelines. 90 days written notice will be given. If you are a subsidized tenant, you rent can be changed if: - Your gross household income has changed more than $33.00 per month; - A new person moves in or out of your unit
What things should I call the police about?
Police should be called in case of any illegal activity. This includes fights, noisy parties, or any illegal activity. In emergency situations, police can be reached by calling 911. Non emergencies can be reported to 519-756-7050. CRIME STOPPERS is an anonymous way to report crimes. They can be reached by calling 519-750-TIPS.
What are reasons that I could be evicted?
The valid reasons for eviction are very specifically laid out in the Residental Tenancies Act. They are: - Tenant failed to pay their rent (referred to as arrears), - Tenant is consistently late paying the rent, - Tenant or their guest has damaged their unit, - Tenant or their guest has impaired the safety of others, - Tenant or their guest is disturbing the reasonable enjoyment of other residents, - Tenant or their guest is carrying on illegal activities in or around their apartment, - Tenant has overcrowded the apartment, - Tenant has misrepresented family income in subsidized housing.
How do I make a Complaint?
You can make a complaint as follows: Call 519-759-3330. First discuss your complaint with your Property Manager. If your complaint is not resolved after a reasonable time, contact the Manager of Municipal Housing. If the complaint is still not resolved, contact the Director of Housing. If the complaint is still not resolved after talking to the Director of Housing, contact the General Manager of Social Services.
Where and how do I pay my rent?
Your rent is payable on or before the first of each month at the Housing Department office located at 220 Colborne Street by the following methods: - Cash, cheque or money order, or; - Pre-Authorized payment plan to come out of your bank account each month, or; - Bank Debit (INTERAC) card.
Do I have to apply for Assistance if I do not want to?
The Social Housing Reform Act requires a household to pursue all sources of income which it is entitled to including support, assistance, employment insurance etc. Tenants who do not pursue all sources of income may lose their entitlement to rent subsidy.
Do I have to have insurance?
Tenants are responsible and strongly encouraged to obtain adequate insurance coverage against damage to the leased premises, loss of personal property and public liability insurance at their own expense. In the event of damage, the landlord (or other tenants) will seek to recover costs from the tenant. If you do not have insurance, this could be very costly.
What do I do in case of a fire?
In case of fire, call 911 from a safe location. Remember to pull the fire alarm and leave the fire area.
What are the rules around custody and visitation?
You can request an additional bedroom when: - You have joint custody over a child who is not a member of the household but you are required to provide over night accommodation for the child as a condition of visitation or custody - You have custody or visitation rights for more than 52 nights per year - You have visiting rights with respect to a child who is not a member of the household and it is a condition of visitation that accommodation is required. You will be required to provide documentation (separation agreement, divorce agreement or other such agreement) to verify custody or visitation rights
Who do I talk to about repairs to my unit?
During normal business hours you should call your Property Manager or Property Management Clerk at 519-759-3330. Most repairs can be arranged within 48 hours. Emergency After Hours Repairs (fire, flood or loss of heat) can be reported to 519-759-6105. Repairs are responded to within 2 hours. NOTE: If you do not receive prompt service or the contractor is not polite and cleans up after repairs, please call your Property Manager the next business day.
What do I need to do to renew my lease?
The end of a lease doesn't mean you have to move out, unless you want to. Your lease will automatically renew itself as a month-to-month tenant. All of the rules of the former lease will still apply to both you and the landlord.
What are my rights in respect to privacy?
A landlord can only enter your apartment uninvited if you are provided written notice 24 hours in advance. However, the law allows a landlord to enter your apartment without written notice only: - In case of emergency, such as fire or a water leak; - At any time with your consent. If you have given notice to move out or the landlord has given you notice of eviction, the landlord can enter your apartment to show it to a new tenant by making a reasonable effort to let you know that they want to come in. This type of entry can only occur between 8 am and 8 pm.
What are the office hours? Is there an emergency number?
The regular office hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4.30 p.m.For Emergency Service (fire, flood or loss of heat) after hours, call 519-759-6105.
How much time do I need to give my landlord to terminate my lease?
If you rent by the month, you must give 60 days written notice to the landlord to terminate your agreement.
How much time do I have to report a change in income or household members moving in or out of the unit?
You are required to notify the Landlord of any changes within 30 days of the change or you will cease to be eligible for a rent subsidy.
Can my landlord evict me because I keep a pet?
The law permits you to keep a pet. However, the landlord can apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board for an order terminating the tenancy and evicting the tenant if: - The past behaviour of the animal has substantially interfered with the reasonable enjoyment of the residential complex by the landlord or other tenants or has caused damage to the premises; - The presence of the animal has caused the landlord or other tenants to suffer a serious allergic reaction: or - The presence of the animal of that species or breed is inherently dangerous to the safety of the landlord or the other tenants. The Landlord and Tenant Board will not order the tenancy terminated if it is satisfied that the animal kept by the tenant did not cause or contribute to the substantial interference, or that the animal did not cause or contribute to the allergic reaction or cause damage to the property.
Can I install carpet in my unit?
Tenants may install carpet, provided the carpet is: - not fitted under the baseboards; - not glued or nailed down (nailing strips are not allowed); - not foam backed unless paper underlay is put down first; NOTE: Carpet must be removed before vacating, otherwise you will be charged for removal.
What happens if there is damage to my unit or the grounds?
You will be held responsible to pay for any damage, beyond normal wear and tear, caused by anyone permitted in your unit. The cost of damages will be the actual costs of labour and material, less depreciated cost of the building component. If this is not paid, the landlord can apply to have the tenancy terminated.
What if I want to transfer to another unit or housing community?
You may apply for or be required to transfer within Brantford or Brant County if: - You are the victim of domestic violence from someone you have lived with in a familial situation for at least three months. You will receive special priority; - You become over housed, meaning your family lives in a unit larger than you need; - You have severe medical reasons which require an additional accommodation. If you wish to move for other reasons, your request will be treated as a new application and you must apply to the Centralized Waiting List. To apply for a transfer, contact your Property Manager to obtain a Transfer Request Form or pick one up from the office and return it to your Property Manager.
Can I have a guest stay with me?
A tenant may invite a guest into their unit for up to two weeks stay without approval of the Property Manager. If your guest wishes to stay longer than two weeks, you must write to your Property Manager to request approval. If a guest stays longer without written approval, your rent subsidy could be endangered.
What happens if I don’t have an income?
In order to continue to be eligible for RGI assistance, tenants are required to pursue income from the following sources: - Basic financial assistance under the Ontario Works Act, 1997 - Support under the Divorce Act (child support) - Benefits under the Employment Insurance Act - Any pension that a person is entitled to receive (Old Age Security, Guaranteed Income Supplement, Canada Pension) - Support or maintenance from immigration sponsorship You have 30 days to provide proof that you have made reasonable efforts to pursue any of the above incomes. Failure to do so will result in loss of your subsidy and your rent would increase to the market rent.
Can I have a Satellite dish?
It is possible to have a satellite dish, however, written permission is required from your Property Manager. Under no circumstances are dishes to be attached to the building or hang out over a balcony. Any damage caused by installation will be charged back to you.
What is a Tenancy (Lease) Agreement?
A written tenancy (lease) agreement gives you the right to live in a unit owned or managed by the city. It sets out the legal name and address of your landlord and the terms of your tenancy. You will be provided a copy of this agreement at the start of your tenancy or when there are changes to the household occupants. The agreement must be signed by all persons over 16 years of age who live in the unit.
Who can I go to if I have an issue that needs resolution?
The Landlord and Tenant Board resolves disputes between landlords and tenants about rights and responsibilities, including rent increases, evictions and privacy issues.The Landlord and Tenant Board provides information to the public and can be reached 24 hours a day by calling toll-free 1-888-332-3234. If you need to speak to a customer service representative, please call during regular office hours. Filing for an Application If you and your landlord are unable to resolve a dispute with each other about rent or other issues, like repairs and privacy, it can be brought to the Landlord and Tenant Board for an order. Filing fees start at $45 for tenants. If the Landlord files an application to terminate your tenancy, there is a $150 filing fee (which is charged to the tenant). Applications to the Landlord and Tenant Board are resolved either by mediation or by a hearing. The Hearing The hearing is a more formal process where both sides can present their evidence to a decision-maker called an adjudicator. The adjudicator makes an order by applying the law to the facts. The results are an order. An order of the Landlord and Tenant Board can be enforced through the courts. Appealing an Order If you or your landlord think the order contains an error on a point of law, one can appeal the order to the Divisional Court. You have 30 days from the date of the order to apply for an appeal.
Can I paint or paper my unit?
Tenants may be allowed to paint their own unit, however written permission is required from your Property Manager before making any alterations or decorating your unit. Only pastel colour will be allowed. Tenants can paper their unit using a dry strippable paper. It must be removed when vacating the unit, otherwise you will be charged for its removal.
What if my cheque is returned NSF (non-sufficient funds)?
We will charge a fee of $20.00 for returned cheques.
What can I do if I received a Notice of Termination?
Your landlord must give you a notice in writing when they want you to move, regardless of the reason. This is called a Notice of Termination. The date that your landlord wants you to move is called the Termination Date. The length of notice of termination is based on the grounds for eviction. If you have received a notice of termination for arrears of rent, you can avoid eviction by paying the full amount of the rent that is owed before the termination date. You may seek free legal advice by contacting Brant Community Legal Clinic at 519-752-8669.
When and how do I request an Internal Review?
You can request an Internal Review if: - You believe your rent subsidy was based on wrong information or calculated incorrectly - Your rent subsidy has been terminated - Or you have wrongly been requested to move because you are overhoused To request a review, you must write to the Manager, Municipal Housing, City of Brantford Housing Department, 220 Colborne Street, Brantford, Ontario (within ten (10) days of the adverse). The Internal Review will be scheduled and completed within 10 days from the date the request is received. You will receive a written notice of the decision.