City Service Updates

Brantford City Council approves Mandatory Face Coverings By-law

At their Special City Council meeting held virtually on July 14, 2020, Brantford City Council approved a Mandatory Face Coverings By-law that will go into effect beginning Friday, July 17, 2020. Under the new by-law, wearing a face covering will be required in enclosed public indoor spaces in the city of Brantford, including all City of Brantford facilities and public transit. Council also directed that the duration of the by-law be reviewed on a bi-monthly to assess.

Initial plans of Stage 3 Reopening

The City of Brantford remains committed to ensuring the health and safety of all residents by implementing preventative measures and public health best practices to reduce the risk of Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 community spread.

The announcement that we are approved to move into Stage 3 of the Province’s Reopening framework is good news for our community’s economy, as more businesses/services can prepare to reopen. The City wishes to acknowledge the hard work and sacrifice of our residents in reaching this milestone and keeping our city’s COVID-19 rate of transmission low to date.

With more people moving about the community, the City announced a series of new City services resuming as follows:

Brantford Transit and Brantford Lift Services

Under the new Mandatory Face Covering By-law, wearing a face covering will be required in enclosed public indoor spaces in the City of Brantford, including all public transit beginning Friday, July 17, 2020, until further notice.

In close consultation with the Brant County Health Unit, and consistent with the City’s gradual approach to safely reopening of services to the public, effective Monday, July 20, 2020, Brantford Transit is moving to a 20-passenger maximum on all City buses. Please note that non-compliance with wearing a face covering may result in Brantford Transit having to return to the previous lowered capacity to ensure the protection and safety of riders. While the transit terminal remains closed, please call 519-753-3847 for assistance with inquiries and trip planning.

The following is a summary of transit changes announced over the past several weeks that remain in effect:

  • Blocking off select seats so customers can practice physical distancing while riding the bus
  • Asking all customers to board and exit the bus using the rear doors. People with accessibility needs can continue to board and exit using the front doors
  • Providing extra services to industrial areas of the city
  • Offering free transit service until further notice, so as to remove the need for people to visit the terminal to buy or renew bus passes
  • Reminding customers to only ride the bus for essential travel (e.g. work, medical appointments and grocery shopping)
  • Operating on an hourly schedule (every 60 minutes) Monday to Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
  • Running evening routes from 8:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. (routes 11,12,13,14 and15)
  • All buses are cleaned and disinfected every 24 hours including frequent touchpoints like handrails, buttons, seats and straps
  • Each bus automated voice callout system has also been updated to remind passengers to wash their hands and follow COVID-19 preventative measure best practices as instructed by the driver. 
  • Brantford Lift service customers are asked to avoid all non-essential travel. Mobility services will be screened as many are older adults who may be more at risk of severe illness


  • Monday to Friday morning rush half-hour service from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. remains unchanged
  • Sunday service remains unchanged and will continue to operate hourly from 8:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m.

The City is committed to continuing to look at different ways to provide reliable, sustained transit service for those passengers who need it most and appreciate your patience and understanding as we work through these changes. 

Parking Operations and Enforcement

The City is moving towards the gradual resumption of regular parking operations and enforcement beginning August 1, 2020. Free parking at Municipal Lot No. 3 (Darling Street) and Municipal Lot No. 4 (Dalhousie Street) will end on July 31, 2020, and payment will be required beginning August 1, 2020.

Residents are encouraged to utilize the Market Centre Parkade at 59 Icomm Drive where parking will remain free until August 31, 2020.

Payment at the Parkade will be required beginning September 1, 2020. Parking regulations will also be fully enforced across the city, including downtown beginning on August 1, 2020 to ensure the safe and orderly movement of vehicles.

Please contact the Parking Enforcement Office directly Monday to Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 pm at 519-753 2311 to arrange for the purchase of a monthly parking pass for any municipal pay lots as additional safety measures have been implemented to minimize contact.

Customer Service Offerings 

Additional services will be offered at City Hall (100 Wellington Square) by appointment only as follows:

  • Entertainment Licences and Dog Designation payments will be available beginning Thursday, July 16, 2020
  • Customer Service document Commissioning, Building Permit payments and drop off and Planning Commissioning will be available beginning Monday, July 20, 2020
  • Driveway, Site Alteration and Street Excavation permits will be available beginning Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Please phone 519-759-4150 for additional information on any of the above listed services.

Sports Track Reopenings

Both the Kiwanis and Bision’s Alumni running tracks will reopen for use starting Monday, July 20, 2020. Physical distancing (6 ft) from others outside of your 10 person social circle must be practiced at all times.

Opening pending implementation of additional preventative measures before operations can resume safely 

  • Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre Arenas Rink 3 and 4

The City recognizes the popularity of these services and amenities and is working very closely with the Brant County Health Unit to ensure they are safe for public use as soon as possible. Further information regarding this facility will be announced shortly.

Previously announced reopenings/available City services:

  • Parks and trails for walking and cycling while physical distancing
  • Playgrounds while physical distancing from those outside your social circle
  • Parking lots at parks and trails
  • Benches 
  • Northridge and Arrowdale golf courses
  • Disc golf at Mohawk Park
  • Tennis and pickleball at Steve Brown Sports Park (four people per court maximum)
  • Running track at Steve Brown Sports Park
  • Mulch bins
  • Dogford Park Dog Park (12-person maximum, 30-minute time limit)
  • Dufferin Park Tennis courts from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (four people /court; 25-person maximum)
  • Bike Park at Rotary Centennial Waterworks Park from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (15-person maximum, 30-minute time limit) 
  • Jaycee Park half-pipe 
  • Skate Park at Brant’s Crossing 
  • Multi-use pads
  • Picnic Tables and Shelters 
  • Brantford Splash Pads at Bridlepath Park and Mohawk Park (Harmony Square location has been reopened but is currently being repaired) 
  • Woodman Park Pool
  • Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre pool

The following sports fields remain open for bookings for recreational/training use:

  • Jaycee Sports Park (softball)
  • Steve Brown Sports Park (softball)
  • Mayfair Park (baseball)
  • Cockshutt Park (hardball, excludes stadium use)
  • Kiwanis Field (football, running track)
  • Bisons Alumni North Park Sports Complex (football, running track)
  • Daubigny Creek Park, George Campbell, Steve Brown Red/Blue and John Wright Soccer Complex (soccer)
  • Rotary Centennial Waterworks Park (cricket pitch)

All other sports fields remain closed, with limited washrooms facilities at the fields that are open.

 Remaining closed/unavailable until further notice 

  • Select washroom buildings
  • Lawn bowling 
  • Bocce
  • Earl Haig Family Fun Park

Child Care

While the province announced child care centres and home care providers will be able to reopen as early as June 12, 2020, there is a great deal of preparation work that local operators need to complete before they can begin to reopen safely in accordance with the operational requirements and guidelines for reopening issued by the Province.

The health and safety of children, families and childcare centre staff must remain paramount in the decisions of local operators to reopen. Together with the Brant County Health Unit, the City of Brantford is committed to working with our licensed child care operators and local school boards to help ensure they are meeting criteria to reopen safely.

The City appreciates the public’s patience while child care centres do the work required to update their priority/waitlist policies to account for limited capacity when reopening and to meet the new protocols that must be in place before they are approved to reopen safely. Child Care Centres will communicate with clients directly regarding their policies, expectations and new protocols and how they may impact individual child care spaces as soon as these plans are finalized.

With the announcement that emergency child care funding for frontline workers will end June 26th, the City will also do everything possible to assist frontline worker families through this transition.

For general questions regarding child care services and fee subsidies, please contact Children’s Services department staff at the City at 519-759-4150.

Brantford Farmers’ Market

The Brantford Farmers’ Market is open on Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Recent operational changes and strict preventative measures will remain in place. Customers will be asked a series of COVID-19 screening questions before entry and be reminded to practice physical distancing during their visit. Wayfinding and distancing markings have been installed to provide guidance. To ensure physical distancing can be maintained, a limited number of shoppers (one person per household) will be permitted into the Market building at a time.

Recent changes to attendance at funerals 

On June 13, 2020, the Bereavement Authority of Ontario issued a revised directive expanding permissible attendance at funerals and visitations. COVID-19 maximum attendance restrictions now allow for 50 attendees for outdoor funeral services, while the following conditions are being met:

  • Persons conducting the funeral must ensure that no more than 50 people are in attendance.
  • All persons attending the gathering must remain at least two metres apart from each other and from persons conducting the funeral unless they are members of the same household/10 person limit social circle.
  • The persons conducting the funeral must ensure that it is conducted in compliance with the advice, recommendations and instructions of public health officials, including any advice, recommendations or instructions with respect to physical distancing, cleaning or disinfecting.

The City of Brantford Cemeteries recognizes the sensitivities associated with these services and would sincerely appreciate your continued support and understanding to ensure compliance and the safety of your family and friends and our staff at this unprecedented time.

Stay Vigilant

The City of Brantford stresses that all residents and businesses play a very significant role in successfully reopening our community safely. Please continue to follow these important COVID-19 guidelines to keep yourself and others in our community safe:

  • Wash your hands frequently, avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, cover coughs or sneezes, clean and disinfect surfaces and stay home if you are sick.
  • Wear a face covering (non-medical mask), such as a cloth mask in all public enclosed indoor spaces to reduce the risk of transmission and practice physical distancing (6 ft apart from others) in public at all times.

Additional updates regarding City programs and services are shared regularly on the City’s Facebook and Twitter pages and at