COVID-19 Pandemic Commonly Asked Questions

In an effort to provide accurate and timely information to our residents, the following Commonly Asked Questions will be updated regularly as the COVID-19 pandemic situation continues to unfold.

In the City of Brantford, the Brant County Health Unit is the lead public health agency responsible for managing COVID-19 pandemic cases locally and providing information updates regarding case numbers. The Brant Community Health System is the lead health agency for COVID-19 testing. Guidance and protocols for testing are established by the provincial Ministry of Health

For a breakdown of current cases in Ontario and Canada, please visit Public Health Canada.

Commonly Asked Questions about COVID-19

Can I celebrate Halloween during COVID-19?

Throughout the Fall, Ontarians will celebrate a number of holidays.

In general:

  • virtual gatherings or events are the safest way to celebrate, especially if people in the group are unvaccinated or if their vaccination status is unknown
  • gatherings or events outdoors are safer than indoors
  • the fewer people who gather, the lower the risk of COVID-19covid 19 transmission
  • it is important to remember that knowing someone does not reduce the risk of transmitting COVID-19
  • follow public health measures and advice

Learn more at the Celebrate safely during COVID-19 webpage on the provincial website. 

Celebrating Halloween

If you trick-or-treat door-to-door:

  • stay home if you have symptoms, even if they are mild
  • trick-or-treat outdoors as much as possible
  • be creative and build the face covering into your costume. Remember that a costume mask is not a substitute for a face covering. A costume mask should not be worn over a non-medical mask or face covering because it can be dangerous if the costume mask makes it hard to breathe.
  • do not crowd doorsteps – take turns one at a time
  • do not sing or shout for your treats
  • keep interactions brief with those giving out treats
  • use hand sanitizer often, especially before and after handling your face covering, after touching frequently touched surfaces, when you arrive home from trick-or-treating, and before and after handling or eating treats
  • there is no need to clean or disinfect pre-packaged treats

If trick-or-treating indoors, maintain physical distancing as much as possible and wear a face covering, especially when physical distancing is a challenge.

If you choose to give out treats:

  • do not participate in Halloween festivities if you have symptoms, even if they are mild
  • keep interactions with trick-or-treaters short and encourage them to move along after receiving their treat from you
  • consider wearing a face covering when physical distancing cannot be maintained
  • consider including the face covering as part of your costume if you are dressing up
  • give out only purchased and packaged treats
  • do not ask trick-or-treaters to sing or shout for their treats
  • clean your hands often throughout the evening using soap and water or with hand sanitizer
How can I get tested for COVID-19 and how is the test done?
If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 (fever & new/worsening cough), first complete a self-assessment at to determine if a clinical assessment is necessary. If the self-assessment indicates a clinical assessment is necessary contact:
  • Your family doctor or
  • Telehealth Ontario: 1-866-797-0000

If you are unable or unsure if you need to see a family physician, please call the BCHS COVID-19 hotline at 519-751-5818 to determine if you need an assessment.

For more information regarding symptoms and treatment of coronavirus COVID-19, please visit the BCHU coronavirus website page.

How do I access my COVID-19 test results?
The Brant Health Community System encourages residents to access a new user-friendly online portal where you can easily access your COVID-19 lab test results.

If you do not have a valid Ontario Health Card or still have a red and white card, please call BCHU at 519-753-4937 and press '1'.
How many cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Brantford and Brant?
The number of lab confirmed, positive cases in the City of Brantford and County of Brant combined is updated daily at 11 a.m. on the Brant County Health Unit website
Do our frontline healthcare workers have enough personal protective equipment?
The Brant Community Healthcare System is grateful to the many generous members of our community who have stepped forward with offers of personal protective equipment (PPE) for our staff and physicians. Our staff are safe and currently have the right PPE to do their jobs but COVID-19 demands can change quickly. BCHS kindly requests that anyone who would like to donate PPE, or supply PPE by other means, please contact BCHS first. We are working swiftly to ensure donations that we require and can accept, meet national standards for PPE use in a health care setting, and align this equipment to our current products. Anyone wishing to donate or supply products are asked to email or call BCHS at 519-751-5510 to provide:
  • Product description
  • Product code
  • Identify if the equipment is unused, unopened and unexpired
  • Contact name, email and phone number
How are COVID-19 municipal and provincial orders being enforced?

Contraventions of the Emergency Management and Civil Protections Act (EMPCA) and/or City of Brantford Bylaw violations will result in the attendance of a City Bylaw Officer or Brant County Health Unit Inspection Officer, supported by a member of Brantford Police Service or Ontario Provincial Police (if warranted).

Should the City of Brantford institute any additional bylaws, they will be enforced by the City of Brantford’s By-law Enforcement Officers and supported by Police, if warranted.

The severity of each infraction in relation to the potential risk to public health and the spread of COVID-19 will be considered when taking enforcement action. Consistent with existing enforcement approaches, a graduated approach to compliance will be implemented. This could include providing educational messaging or warnings to members of the public regarding the emergency orders and, if compliance is not obtained, the issuance of a ticket under the Provincial Offences Act or a summons under Part 3 of the Act.

Reporting COVID-19 Violations Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between mandatory isolation and quarantine?
The Government of Canada has put an Emergency Order in place under the Quarantine Act that applies to all travellers arriving in Canada from outside of the country, in order to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Canada.

If you have recently returned to Canada and have symptoms, you must self-isolate. This is mandatory. If required, immediate medical attention will be provided upon arrival in Canada.

Mandatory isolation means you MUST:
  • Go directly to the place where you will isolate, without delay, and stay there for 14 days
  • Go to your place of isolation using private transportation only, such as your personal vehicle
  • Stay inside your home
  • Not leave your place of isolation unless it's to seek medical attention
  • Do not go to school, work, other public areas or use public transportation (e.g., buses, taxis)
  • Stay in a separate room and use a separate bathroom from others in your home, if possible
  • Not have visitors and limit contact with others in the place of isolation , including children
  • Not isolate in a place where you will have contact with vulnerable people such as older adults and individuals with underlying medical conditions
  • If your symptoms get worse, immediately contact your health care provider or public health authority and follow their instructions.

If you have symptoms but do not have a place to isolate, you will be required to isolate for 14 days in a facility designated by the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada.Violating any instructions provided to you when you entered Canada could lead up to six months in prison and/or $750,000 in fines.

TRAVELLERS WITHOUT SYMPTOMS - Mandatory Quarantine (mandatory self-isolation)

If you have recently returned to Canada and have no symptoms, you must quarantine (self-isolate) yourself. This is mandatory. You are at risk of developing symptoms and infecting others.

This means you MUST:
  • Go directly to your place of quarantine, without delay, and stay there for 14 days
  • Do not go to school, work, other public areas and community settings
  • Monitor your health for symptoms of COVID-19
  • Arrange to have someone pick up essentials like groceries or medication for you
  • Do not have visitors
  • Stay in a private place like your yard or balcony if you go outside for fresh air
    Keep a distance of at least two arms lengths (approximately two metres) from others

You can take public transportation to get to your place of self-isolation after you arrive in Canada, but you must not stop on the way home and practice physical (social) distancing of being 6 ft apart from others at all times. Violating any instructions provided to your when you entered Canada could lead up to six months in prison and/or $750,000 in fines.

If you develop symptoms within 14 days:
  • isolate yourself from others
  • immediately call a health care professional or the Brant County Health Unit and:
    • describe your symptoms and travel history
    • follow instructions carefully
How do I report a violation of COVID-19 orders in place?

To report a violation of COVID-19 provincial or municipal orders in Brantford, please use our online form or call the City’s Customer Contact Centre at 519-759-4150. 

Complaints Relating to Self-Isolation or Quarantine
On March 25, 2020 the Government of Canada invoked the Quarantine Act. This requires all travelers returning to Canada – with the exception of what the federal government is calling “essential workers” – enter a mandatory 14-day period of isolation, regardless of whether any symptoms of COVID-19 are present.
For concerns relating to returning travelers who are not self-isolating and who arrived on or after March 25, please contact Brant County Health Unit at 519-753-4937 and press '1'.

Reporting COVID-19 Violations Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report a business that is operating without meeting criteria of the provincial reopening framework?
If you have concerns that a business or service is still open when it should not be, please call the Brant County Health Unit at 519-753-4937 and press '1', if your complaint involves any of the following businesses/services:
  • Child Care Facilities
  • Recreational Camps
  • Personal Services Settings (including mobile and home-based settings)
  • Tanning Salons
  • Food Premises, including restaurants and bars
  • Grocery Stores
  • Farmers’ Markets
  • Places of worship
  • Theatres and Cinemas (including drive-ins)
  • Trailer Parks
  • Schools (Public and Private)

For any other type of business, please use our online form or call the City’s Customer Contact Centre at 519-759-4150. For more information about what the City can enforce in priority order, please visit:

Business Questions
Companies and workplaces that have questions about the temporary closure of all non-essential workplaces related order can call Ontario’s Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659.

Employee Concerns
If you have COVID-19 concerns or questions about your workplace or construction site, please call the Ministry of Labour’s Health and Safety Contact Centre at 1-877-202-0008.
What City facilities are closed and what programs are cancelled or modified?

Please visit the City's Service Updates page for a complete up to date list of City of Brantford closures, cancellations, and programming and services modifications during the City’s ongoing response to the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic.

How do I register my recreational vehicle for the purposes of self-isolating or quarantine during the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic?

You may now register your recreational vehicle for the purposes of self-isolating or quarantine using our online form.

RV Registration Form