Fireworks

Fireworks cannot be sold in the City of Brantford except on Victoria Day and Canada Day and five calendar days before these holidays. See the Brantford Municipal Code (Chapter 520) and Business Licensing for more information.

To ensure our community's safety, please note that:

  • Firecrackers are strictly prohibited.
  • Selling fireworks to anyone under 18 years of age is prohibited.

Consumer firework safety

Fireworks can be extremely dangerous. Preventable injuries happen each year from using them improperly.

Consumer or family style fireworks include:

  • Cones
  • Firework showers
  • Golden rain
  • Lawn lights
  • Pin wheels
  • Roman candle fountains
  • Sparklers
  • Volcanoes

See the Explosives Act for more information.

Safety during your fireworks display

Pick one responsible person to handle and discharge fireworks, who should be aware of all hazards and safety precautions.

Make sure to:

  • Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging.
  • Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.
  • Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials like buildings, trees and dry grass.
  • Keep onlookers a safe distance away and upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.

Lighting fireworks

When you're lighting fireworks, make sure that:

  • Your fireworks are properly planted on the ground and never try to light a firework in your hand.
  • You only light one firework at a time.
  • You discharge fireworks only if wind conditions do not create a safety hazard.

Burns

Run cool water over any burns for three to five minutes and seek medical attention if necessary.

Dud fireworks

Do not try to re-light dud fireworks. It is best to wait 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water. You can dispose of them afterwards in a metal container.

Sparklers

Make sure that you keep sparklers away from young children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing, which can result in severe burns or cause blindness.

Don't forget to soak your used sparklers in water to avoid any injury. The sparkler's wire is still very hot after it burns out.