Reporting Covid-19 Violations

As part of the City's continuing efforts to stop the spread of Coronavirus Covid-19, on March 30th, 2020, Mayor Kevin Davis signed an order to temporarily close all City-owned playgrounds and other outdoor amenities until further notice. Later that evening, Premier Doug Ford also ordered the shutdown of all outdoor recreation amenities in the province as part of its response to the coronavirus pandemic.

To enforce both the provincial and local orders that have been implemented to protect public health, on April 1, 2020, the City announced a new reporting process by which members of the public can report Covid-19 violations to the City for investigation.

Please note the following commonly asked questions regarding processes to report complaints or violations related to COVID-19 protective measures and regulations now in place.

How are the Emergency Orders that are now in place to help slow the spread of COVID-19 enforced?

Contraventions of the Emergency Management and Civil Protections Act (EMPCA) and/or City of Brantford By-law violations will result in the attendance of a City By-law Officer or Brant County Health Unit Inspection Officer, supported by a member of Brantford Police Service or Ontario Provincial Police (if warranted).

Should the City of Brantford institute any additional by-laws, they will be enforced by the City of Brantford’s By-law Enforcement Officers and supported by Police, if warranted.

The severity of each infraction in relation to the potential risk to public health and the spread of COVID-19 will be considered when taking enforcement action. Consistent with existing enforcement approaches, a graduated approach to compliance will be implemented. This could include providing educational messaging or warnings to members of the public around the emergency orders and, if compliance is not obtained, the issuance of a ticket under the Provincial Offences Act or a summons under Part 3 of the Act.

What IS NOT permissible at this time?

❌Use of City-owned amenities (including playground structures, skateparks, etc)

❌Gatherings of ten or more people in a public space

❌Non-essential businesses that are providing in-person services to the public

For more information, please review the detailed list of City facilities and public amenties that are now temporarily closed for use to by the public until further notice. 

Please use this Do's and Don'ts guide for reference regarding what is and is not permissible on City owned public property at this time.

What IS permissible on City-owned property?

✅Cycling or walk-though use on City-owned trails while practicing social distancing of 6 ft or 2 metres from others. Outdoor health breaks should not exceed an hour 

✅ Walk-through use of City-owned parks, but excluding amenities such as playgrounds. Physical distancing of 6 ft or 2 metres from others is required in all public places. Use of park benches while physical distancing is permitted. Note - park amenities are not sanitized.

Is it permissible to go fishing in Brantford?

Based on direction provided by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry Services (MNFFS), fishing is permissible in Ontario on water bodies where access is open to the public for the purpose of fishing. Practicing physical distancing (remaining 6 ft apart from others) at all times must be adhered to, as well as all MNFFS regulations relative to licenseing/fishing activity. Gathering in groups while fishing is not permissible at this time.

Complaints related to self-isolation or quarantine

On March 25, 2020 the Government of Canada invoked the Quarantine Act. This requires all travellers returning to Canada – with the exception of what the federal government is calling “essential workers” – enter a mandatory 14-day period of isolation, regardless of whether any symptoms of COVID-19 are present.

For concerns relating to returning travellers who are not self-isolating and who arrived on or after March 25, please contact Brant County Health Unit at 519-753-4937 and press '1'. 

Complaints related to gatherings of five or more people on public property

On March 28, 2020 the Ontario government issued a new emergency order under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act to prohibit organized public events and social gatherings of more than five people, effective immediately. On March 30th, 2020, the City of Brantford issued an order to temporarily close all City-owned playgrounds and other outdoor amenities effective immediately.

To report a violation of the provincial or municipal orders, please contact:

In Brantford:
City at or call the City’s Customer Contact Centre at 519-759-4150.
For more information about what the City can enforce in priority order, please visit:

Complaints related to non-compliance with physical distancing guidelines on private property (e.g. grocery stores)

Physical distancing of being two metres (six feet) apart from another person is required to control the spread of COVID-19. People should avoid crowds and practice physical distance everywhere, including in open establishments, such as malls or grocery stores.

For complaints relating to people not following the physical distance guideline on private property, please contact Brant County Health Unit at 519-753-4937 and press '1'.

For more information on how to practice physical distancing, visit the BCHU website at:

Complaints regarding Non-Essential Workplaces or Businesses

To slow the spread of COVID-19, the Ontario government has ordered the immediate, but temporary closure of all non-essential workplaces or businesses. A full list of essential workplaces which are allowed to stay open is available here.

If you have concerns that a business or service is still open when it should not be, please contact:

In Brantford:
Brant County Health Unit at 519-753-4937 and press '1', if your complaint involves any of the following businesses/services:

  • Child Care Facilities
  • Recreational Camps
  • Personal Services Settings (including mobile and home-based settings)
  • Tanning Salons
  • Food Premises, including restaurants and bars
  • Grocery Stores
  • Farmers’ Markets
  • Places of worship
  • Theatres and Cinemas (including drive-ins)
  • Trailer Parks
  • Schools (Public and Private)

For any other type of business, report your concerns to the City at or call the City’s Customer Contact Centre at 519-759-4150.

For more information about what the City can enforce in priority order, please visit:

Complaints regarding price gouging
The Province has both an online and telephone option for the public to report incidents of price gouging. Online reports can be made at: or, consumers can call Consumer Protection Ontario at 1-800-889-9768 between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm Monday to Friday.
Businesses who have additional questions
Companies and workplaces that have questions about the temporary closure of all non-essential workplaces related order can call Ontario’s Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659.
Employee Concerns
If you have COVID-19 concerns or questions about your workplace or construction site, please call the Ministry of Labour’s Health and Safety Contact Centre at 1-877-202-0008.
What should I do if someone comes to my house, calls me or sends a text asking for COVID-19 relief donations or is selling COVID-19 related products and services?
Brantford Police Services reminds the public to be extra vigilant when it comes to those trying to sell or provide products or services associated with COVID-19. Reliable, accurate and up-to-date information is provided through local public health officials. Anyone who believes they have been approached or contacted by someone who is misrepresenting themselves in an effort to sell goods or services should report this to Brantford Police online at
Are residential Yard Sales permissible at this time?

Following advice from public health officials to continue to further reduce contact between people to reduce the risk of COVID-19 community spread, The City of Brantford strongly discourages Yard Sales from resuming at this time. 

Reminder to all Motorcycle, Bicycle, and Classic Car Enthusiasts

As the weather becomes warmer, many in our community may choose to travel on motorcycles, bicycles or in classic cars. Please remember that although road travel is permissible, stopping and congregating in a group with more than five people is not. Furthermore, individual physical distancing of remaining 2 metres (6 ft) apart from others at all times in public remains mandatory at this time.