Ukrainian Relief

Ukrainian Relief Community Forum

The Brantford Immigration Partnership (BIP) hosted the Ukrainian Relief Community Forum on May 17, 2022, where over 70 members of the public attended and were informed of the ongoing response from local agencies supporting Ukrainian nationals arriving in Brantford and means by which the public can provide assistance. A recording of the virtual Ukrainian Relief Community Forum is available on the City’s YouTube channel. Topics covered in the video include information for the public on plans in place to facilitate the settlement of Ukrainian nationals in Brantford through a series of presentations led by several community leaders representing agencies including the YMCA of Hamilton Burlington Brantford, Wesley, Grand River Community Health Centre, and St. Leonard’s Community Services and City of Brantford’s Community Services and more.

Ukrainian newcomer support and information

Volunteer Supports

General Inquiries

Residents can volunteer to support Ukrainians in need of housing, interpretation services, and/or employment through the YMCA. Individuals can complete the following form:

For more information contact Mike Simon by calling 519-752-4568 or emailing

Settlement Services

Supports offered for newcomers to learn about their new community including:

  • Health care options
  • Housing
  • Employment
  • Transportation
  • School Enrollment (for children)
  • Support with application forms
  • Connections to culture groups
  • Referrals to community services

Contact the following agencies for further information:

Housing (Host Homes Program)
  • If your household is interested in offering transitional housing (6 month timeframe) for arriving Ukrainians, please complete the following form:
  • For information on providing short term housing supports to Ukrainians through the YMCA’s Host Home program contact YMCA by calling 905-526-8452 or emailing
English as a Second Language (ESL) Supports

For information on ESL supports available to Ukrainians through the Grand Erie District School Board contact Jennifer Eldridge by calling (519) 756-6301 ext.127061 or emailing

Employment Services 

Employment opportunities and programs are available to eligible Ukrainians through Employment Ontario and the Federal Job Bank.

The Government of Canada has created a portal to connect Ukrainians to job opportunities. Employers have the option to post jobs available to Ukrainians:


If you are a Ukrainian national seeking employment supports OR a local employer looking to hire incoming Ukrainians, contact Malcolm Whyte at St. Leonard’s Community Services by calling 519-756-7665 or emailing


The Grand River Community Heath Centre can provide primary health care supports to Ukrainian nationals. Individuals can register through Health Care Connect by calling 1-800-445-1822 (Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).


Contact Kim Sheehan at 519 754-0777 ext.431 for assistance finding Primary Care Providers in Brantford/Brant.

Community Volunteers (Canada Connects Program) and Donations

If you would like to provide community supports to Ukrainians through volunteer opportunities or donations contact the following organizations:

  • Community members interested in volunteering as mentors can apply to join the Canada Connects Program. This program creates meaningful connections between newcomers and established residents. Interested individuals can complete the following form:
  • Irene Stepus of the Slavic Full Gospel Church by calling 519-209-3856 or emailing
  • The Ukrainian Village Ukraina Dancers are organizing fundraisers to support Ukrainians. More information can be found through their Facebook group:
  • Ukrainian Congress of Canada:
  • Ukrainian Diaspora Supports Canada:

Pathways to immigrate to Canada

Following the invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, the Government of Canada announced special measures to bring Ukrainians to safety in Canada, including temporary and permanent pathways.

Temporary Pathway
Ukrainians and their family members can travel to Canada through the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET) program.
Permanent Pathway

Ukrainians with family members in Canada can be sponsored to come to Canada permanently. For more information, visit

To learn more about the immigration measures for Ukrainians, visit

For the dedicated service channel for Ukraine immigration questions call 613-321-4243. Collect calls will be accepted. Use the IRCC crisis web form and add the keyword “Ukraine2022”.

Immediate Settlement Supports

Settlement organizations provide you with information and assistance while you adjust to living in Canada. They provide culturally sensitive services in several languages, including assistance in finding a place to live, learning English or French, finding employment, assessing educational and professional qualifications, referrals to other services such as legal help, connecting with the community, filling out forms and applications, and answering other general concerns related to immigration or settlement. 

YMCA Settlement Services

Visit the Newcomer Connections page for further information available to new arrivals to the City of Brantford.

Find information on documents (e.g. SIN card, OHIP) that you might need when you arrive in Canada at

Wesley Settlement Services

 Open a Bank Account 

 In order to open a bank account, you must visit a bank and show identification such as a passport, a driver’s license, a SIN, or another acceptable document.

For a list of acceptable documents, visit or call the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada at 1-866-461-3222 for more information.

 Register with Red Cross

The Red Cross has set up reception centres at Canada’s ports of entry to provide reception, registration and translation/interpretation services. Health specialists and clinicians from Red Cross are on-site to assist you with referral to other service providers if you need medical attention or mental health counselling.

  • If you are experiencing stress, or would need to talk, there are on-site mental health specialists who can help. You can also access support by calling Red Cross team at the toll-free number 1-833-354-1628.

The Red Cross also provides welcome packages for you to learn more about supports and services available to you upon arrival. For more information, visit

 Community Services


Ukrainian families seeking accommodations should complete the following form screened by the YMCA that can be found at


Finding a place to live is likely to be one of your top priorities. Your housing options depend on your needs and your budget. Housing services and supports can help you find a place to rent, access financial supports, and answer questions about rights and responsibilities as a tenant. 

Income support

Ukrainians in Ontario under the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel are eligible to apply for Emergency Assistance which provides temporary financial support for basic needs and shelter in crisis situations while you apply for the Federal Income Supports.

If you live in the City of Brantford and do not have enough money for things like food, housing and prescription drugs, you may qualify for Emergency Assistance.

To apply:

Under the CUAET Pathway, eligible Ukrainians can receive financial support from the Government of Canada. This is a one-time payment that will help support basic needs while settling in Canada.  For more information visit the IRCC website

Language Instruction

Newcomers can access free English and French language classes. Language classes help you learn or improve your language skills, provide opportunities to learn about Canadian culture and connect with the community. Classes are offered for people with different levels of English, from literacy to advanced and occupation specific.

The Grand Erie District School Board is dedicated to providing culturally responsive services and programs for English language learners (ELLs) that will improve the school experience and success for all English language learning students.

The Grand Erie District School Board provides ESL supports for adults through their adult education centers, in addition to offering language assessments.


Employment Supports

Service providers in Brantford can help you find employment. They can assist you with building job search skills, writing a resume, and preparing for interviews. They can connect you to mentorship opportunities, job placement opportunities, and more.

The following are some employment service providers in Brantford and contact persons:

Provincial Employment Hotline

To connect with job search supports and local employers in the community by calling 1-888-562-4769 or email

Federal Job Bank
The Government of Canada has created a portal to connect Ukrainians to job opportunities. If you need help to find work, you can contact job bank and indicate that you are a Ukrainian national. Learn more at

Enrolling children in school

Brantford has free public schools providing education to children from kindergarten to grade 12. Students are placed in their age appropriate grade.

As newcomers to Canada, there are extra supports available to your children in order to adapt to schooling in Canada. In several schools across Brantford, a settlement (SWIS) worker is available to provide families with important information to ensure their children’s needs are met.

Brantford has two English-language public school boards: Grand Erie School District Board and Brant Haldimand Norfolk Catholic District School Board.

Grand Erie School District Board 
Brant Haldimand Norfolk Catholic District School Board 
Find Childcare

Childcare centres offer care for children while their parents work or study.

The City of Brantford offers financial support for childcare to assist low-income families with their childcare expenses.

View the online registration system (OneList) that allows you to search for licensed child care programs for children from birth to age 12.

To contact Children and Early Years Services at the City of Brantford, call: 519-759-3330

To learn more about the different types of childcare and how they are regulated, or to search for licensed childcare for your children, please visit the Ontario Ministry of Education website.


There are many transportation options to get around the city or travel outside the city. Brantford Public transit is wheelchair accessible, and there are special transportation services for people living with disabilities. Visit


Primary Care (Family physician or Nurse Practitioner)

The Grand River Community Health Centre is providing assistance with helping people find Primary Care Providers in Brantford/Brant. Please contact Kim Sheehan at 519 754-0777 ext 431.

Public Health can administer any publicly funded immunizations required or book clients into our catch up clinics or general immunization clinics that we will be scheduling in June and July. Clients can contact 519-753-4937 ext 451 or email to arrange an immunization appt.
Dental Care

Healthy Smiles Ontario: Any child under 18 can be booked in for a dental screening with Public Health dental hygienists – if any issues are noted (pain or hole in a tooth/teeth) then an application for coverage can be completed and this coverage is good for 1 year. GRCHC or clients can contact our dental department at 519-753-4937 ext 450 or email to arrange a screening appointment. 


Ontario Seniors Dental Program: At this time, we are booked out until September for restoration and treatment and until August for preventative services (scaling, sealants). Clients can contact our dental department at 519-754-4937 ext 450 or email to arrange an appointment once their ODSCP application is approved.

COVID-19 Guidelines

COVID-19 continues to be a risk to the health of everyone in Canada. Public Health Ontario has created resources in several languages, including Ukrainian, about COVID-19 and ways to protect yourself from it. Learn more at

Please remember that there are masking requirements in place in certain settings in Ontario. These requirements are rapidly changing, but you can keep up to date by visiting

Brantford has various clinics that offer COVID-19 vaccines. For locations, visit

All Canadian residents have access to health care. Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and those with a valid work permit or a temporary resident permit in Ontario qualify for public health insurance in Ontario known as OHIP. This includes people arriving in Ontario under the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET). Your OHIP card covers most health services, such as services from physicians and hospital stays. Visit a Service Ontario location to apply and obtain your OHIP card  
Health Emergencies
For immediate emergency services and life-threatening situations, please call 911 from any phone (mobile, home or public phones). 
General Health Advice

For general medical advice, you can call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000.


The Refugee HealthLine can be reached at 1-866-286-4770 and provides assistance in making connections for clients with Physicians and Nurse Practitioners. The HealthLine provides multilingual service.

Local Health Services

If you require health care services, you can contact one of the following agencies to begin the process:

Mental Health and Addiction Services

Contact St. Leonard’s Community Services at 519-759-7188 or 1-866-811-7188. Counsellors are skilled in Brief Solution Focused Therapy and Crisis Intervention to provide the following:

  • Crisis Outreach and Support Team Referrals
  • Connection to Addiction Services
  • Safety / crisis planning
  • Coping skills / self-soothing management
  • Referrals / connections to on-going service as required
  • Naloxone Kits and Harm Reduction Supplies


ConnexOntario (phone number) 1-866-531-2600 FREE 24/7 Access to Healthcare Information Services for Mental Health and Addictions services or supports that meets specific needs.

  • Treatment Services
  • Crisis Lines
  • Self-Help Groups
  • Distress Centres
  • Family Services

Ukrainian organizations and groups

Volunteer-based ethnic associations in Brantford provide support, programs and activities to increase your sense of belonging and connections in the community. Members often share a common language and culture. 

Ukrainian-Canadian Congress–Hamilton Branch (catchment area includes Brantford) 

This is the umbrella organization that coordinates activities and supports for Ukrainians.

Slavic Full Gospel Church 
Call 519-755-0137 for more information.
Ukrainian Catholic Church of St John the Baptist
Call 519-865-0804 for more information.