Assisting with lost, stray, or injured animals

Lost pets

If your pet is lost or if you found a stray animal, we suggest contact local animal rescue providers (outlined below) to see if your pet has been picked up or to report your pet missing. Be prepared to give a description of your pet, dog tag number and microchip number if he or she has one.

If your dog is wearing a City of Brantford dog tag when it is picked up, the City's Animal Control staff will make every effort to contact you.

To retrieve your pet from City of Brantford Animal Control, you must contact Hillside Kennels at 519-469-3247 (Toll Free 1-888-469-3247) to make arrangements to pick up your lost pet.

  • Pay the impound and boarding fees, any related veterinary or health care costs, and a licence fee if the pet is not registered.
  • Provide personal photo identification.
  • Provide proof of ownership (ie: licence information, papers from your vet, and microchip/tattoo information).
  • Have a leash or carrier ready.

Please note, pet pit bulls will only be released following specific requirements in the Animals for Research Act.

Stray and injured pet animals

If you find a stray or injured animal within the City of Brantford, you can report it by calling the City at 519-759-4150 . Or, you can take the found animal to a local animal rescue provider or your local vet to check the pet for a microchip. 

Community cats

Community cats (also known as stray or feral cats) are cats that are not owned by anyone and live in the neighbourhood on their own. Community cat colonies are common in both rural and urban areas.

Community cats can be identified by a left ear-tip (a small portion of their LEFT ear is snipped) – this means they have been vaccinated, fixed, and are being managed. If a homeless community cat is found and it is ear tipped (a small portion of their LEFT ear is snipped), please leave the cat alone as it has been spayed/neutered and vaccinated.

To learn more about available programs for assistance with stray/feral cats please contact a local animal rescue provider in your area. 

Report an animal in distress

To report a sick or injured animal, please contact the City of Brantford at 519-759-4150.

Report animal cruelty or neglect

To report cases of cruelty or neglect, please contact the Province of Ontario Animal Welfare at 1-833-9-ANIMAL (1-833-9-264625).

Coyotes and other wildlife

To report a sick or injured animal, please contact the City of Brantford at 519-759-4150.

If your home is near a wooded area, ravine or a new residential area where coyotes have been established it is not unusual to see a coyote. However, if you see a coyote with any of the following behaviours, call 519-759-4150:

  • limping or staggering or with paralyzed hind legs
  • acting confused
  • injured or deceased

Please consult the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) for additional information and resources available to assist with coyote and other wildlife conflicts.

Report an animal cadaver on public property 

To report the presence of an animal cadaver (such as raccoons, coyotes, opossums and Deer) on public property, please contact the City directly at 519-759-4150. To ensure priority is given to removal of larger wildlife cadavers, please note that small wildlife cadavers such as mice, rats, small birds, and chipmunks on public or private property can be placed in your waste bin and picked up on your waste collection day